Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions....

Hi
    I haven't posted on this particular forum before but been browsing. A friend and I are getting into candles and melts with the aim of maybe doing parties/fairs and a website once we have played a bit first. I made candles quite some years back with a kit I was bought and then it was put away.

I do a variety of crafts, but am mostly a card maker, been making them for many years and selling for about 11 years now, on and off. I am already a partner in a business with my other half, not really craft but more design work/printing, so this would be a sideline really but more what I'm into.

ANyway, the questions I want to ask are...

1) soy wax... I would like to use this now instead of paraffin wax, we will probably do candles in containers and out, so would we need to buy both different types of soy wax or would one be okay for both?
    I like melts more, my friend prefers candles, but we will make both, can anybody clear up which type of wax is best for what type of candle/melt?

2) We like the bakery type candles although we won't limit ourselves to just this kind, but if a product has an assortment of bits as it were, would you scent each individual item or just use one scent throughout, or is that just trial and error?

3) What is the best way to get realistic colours? Obviously we will try things out to get them right, but we can't really afford to spend a lot of money right now, so don't want to end up making a lot of waste items.. not that any would be wasted really.

While playing with what I have at the moment, my old kit and some old oils that are probably past their best, I put a fair bit in and they don't smell too much.
    I made some mini cherry pie tarts, which turned out rather well, for a first go I think?.... I even had a go at whipping some wax for the top which worked better than I thought it would. The best bit though was I moulded some little wax cherries for the top and was rather pleased with the results.. didn't even know you could mold wax!
    If only they smelled more like cherry!

I bought a few new oils from sensory perfection so might try some of those, they were initially for my cards.
    There are that many cool scents I don't know what to buy first and not having much money to spare, I'll have to choose carefully.

Another thing is moulds.... so many cool moulds out there but very pricey, is there a way you can make your own? without having to buy the silicone stuff as that seems costly too. Would it work using something like ceramofix to make a mould? Placing an object in a dish, then filling with ceramofix or plaster of paris? What would you put on the item to get it back out? OR would that really not work?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Yvonne

hi

waxes .... if you are making pillar candles, wax melts or anything that wont be in a container you will need pillar wax, this is alot stronger
    If making container candle you will need container wax, this is a lot softer & liquidises more which is perfect for container candles

Bakery Candles & Melts .... If's completely up to yourself if you fragrance your creation throughout with the same scent or you could mix them .... for example you could you a chocolate base with a coffee topping with gives like a cafe mocca when melted

Colours is a trial & error sort of thing, the more experienced you become the better you will be at knowing which much colour to use to get your desired colour. Try melting a little wax, colour it & pour a little on some foil and allow to dry, this will show you how the colour will be before you pour

I wouldn't recommend that you make a mould out of plaster, you will be pouring a liquid into it will just desolve it
    Although silicone moulds are expensive if you will be making this hobby into a more perminate thing they are better for durability & can last for years as long as you look after them correctly. If you have a look around ebay you can get some abit cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Bathtime Temptations View Post
      hi

waxes .... if you are making pillar candles, wax melts or anything that wont be in a container you will need pillar wax, this is alot stronger
      If making container candle you will need container wax, this is a lot softer & liquidises more which is perfect for container candles

Bakery Candles & Melts .... If's completely up to yourself if you fragrance your creation throughout with the same scent or you could mix them .... for example you could you a chocolate base with a coffee topping with gives like a cafe mocca when melted

Colours is a trial & error sort of thing, the more experienced you become the better you will be at knowing which much colour to use to get your desired colour. Try melting a little wax, colour it & pour a little on some foil and allow to dry, this will show you how the colour will be before you pour

I wouldn't recommend that you make a mould out of plaster, you will be pouring a liquid into it will just desolve it
      Although silicone moulds are expensive if you will be making this hobby into a more perminate thing they are better for durability & can last for years as long as you look after them correctly. If you have a look around ebay you can get some abit cheap

Thanks for all of that. Had thought that about the plaster and the hot liquid. I guess the playing about is the way to get what you want really.
      Trouble is we have all these ideas in our heads that we want to do, sometimes we have to rein ourselves in and concentrate on more simple ideas to perfect maybe the scents being right and the end result.
      Just trying to do it as economically as possible for now.

Thanks again.
      Yvonne

Comment

Working...
      X