Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming

Hi,

I am new to the selling side of wax melts as I normally just make them for friends and family.

My question is when buying and using fragrance oils can I change the name of them?

For example if I were to buy 'Berry Enchanted' could I rename the fragrance to 'Enchantment' and sell it as the new name?

I am asking as I want to change the names to fit within my brand, do I need to put the original name on the CLP label or can I use the new name as long as the information on the CLP label matches that of the original fragrance oil?

Hopefully this all makes sense!

Originally posted by lburgess19995 View Post
    Hi,

I am new to the selling side of wax melts as I normally just make them for friends and family.

My question is when buying and using fragrance oils can I change the name of them?

For example if I were to buy 'Berry Enchanted' could I rename the fragrance to 'Enchantment' and sell it as the new name?

I am asking as I want to change the names to fit within my brand, do I need to put the original name on the CLP label or can I use the new name as long as the information on the CLP label matches that of the original fragrance oil?

Hopefully this all makes sense!
    I’d say you can’t change the name of a scent as the manufacturer will have registered it as their own so covered by copyright like everything else.
    I’d imagine you could name a finished melt what you like but you’d have to name the fragrance used details in the small print on the packaging unless the manufacturer has given it in writing somewhere that you don’t have to do that, otherwise it looks like you are passing someone else's product off i.e. the fragrance as your own.
    I may be wrong....Your local trading standards office is the best to advise you.

Dave.
    Last edited by 3dDave; 06-01-2021, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Hi, I contacted the company I purchased my scents from to ask this very question. They said I could call it whatever I like, so long as the CLP info remained unchanged.

Comment

If you want to change the name, it's better to get permission from the manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
        X