Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcycling tin cans- please help.

Hello,

I'm really into upcycling and decoupage.
    I started painting & using decoupage on recycled tin cans and filling with wax.
    I've tested quite a few and the cans hold the wax well and dont get too hot.
    I've had F&F test with no issues.

I've seen quite a few people selling things like this on various places.
    And I'd like to eventually turn this into a small side business.

Ive had a few people saying it's not legal to sell candles made in recycled tins cans, I've googled this and cant find any information?

Please can anybody advise as I dont want to move forward if it's going to cause trouble in the long run.
    I want to do things right...

I've had a few insurance quotes and they haven't asked what containers im using.

Please advise if you can help.

Thankyou!

Not heard of that 🤔...your local trading standards office would know.

Dave.

Comment

I'd be more concerned with the flammable glue, paper and paint issue near a naked flame. Have you mentioned this to your insurer?

Comment

Hi I haven't got insurance as yet just quotes online.. maybe I need to start with giving a few places a call and mention everything.
        I'm also using non flammable paints and non flammable craft glue.
        The paper napkin is between 2 layers of the glue.
        It's hard to know what's ok & what's not. I want to do things right.

thanks for your reply. X
        Last edited by loulou1810; 08-06-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I would definitely mention anything that isn't standard (ie a glass , plain metal or stone etc container). The paper might be an issue and render your insurance void (in the eyes of an insurer who make it a point to negate every claim from the outset), if there should be a claim, and it was discovered your vessel had a flammable material as part of the vessel that was not disclosed. Better to cover every base and be upfront from the outset. A lot of people sell a lot of things they shouldn't but doesn't mean it's OK if you catch my drift!

Comment

Thankyou, that's really helpful!

Yes I'd definitely want to know I'm doing everything the right way.

Comment

Working...
            X