Umm... help would be nice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umm... help would be nice!

We would like to try out candle making, and were wondering how to go about it. What are the easiest candles to make? How do you make tea lights? How do you make scented tealights (do you start with a regular tealight and add fragance or what) Sorry for so many questions, we're confused!
    Thanks
    Caz & Harriet

Hello!

Well there is so much information out there on candle making, it can probably be a bit overwhelming if you have never tried it before!

The easiest candles to make IMHO are wickless candles, or wax melts. With wicked candles you usually have to do quite a bit of testing to make sure that you have the right wick for your wax and fragrance combination etc.

As a complete beginner, I'd recommend you buy yourself a starter kit, for wax melts or for candles. Search on Ebay for one or google midnightstar candles, as candle kits are availlable there (sorry I can't post a link, I think I'm still too new here to do that!)

Another thing you could do is have a look for some candlemaking books, such as the candlemakers companion. There is even a candlemaking for dummies book, which is a good starting point, although I think there is alot more to learn past this book. It's trial and error but it's really good fun!

If you have any specific questions just post here and I'm sure some of the candlemakers would be able to help you.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Becky :-) x
    www.purplesparkle.co.uk
    http://purplesparklecrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by purplesparkle View Post
      Hello!

Well there is so much information out there on candle making, it can probably be a bit overwhelming if you have never tried it before!

The easiest candles to make IMHO are wickless candles, or wax melts. With wicked candles you usually have to do quite a bit of testing to make sure that you have the right wick for your wax and fragrance combination etc.

As a complete beginner, I'd recommend you buy yourself a starter kit, for wax melts or for candles. Search on Ebay for one or google midnightstar candles, as candle kits are availlable there (sorry I can't post a link, I think I'm still too new here to do that!)

Another thing you could do is have a look for some candlemaking books, such as the candlemakers companion. There is even a candlemaking for dummies book, which is a good starting point, although I think there is alot more to learn past this book. It's trial and error but it's really good fun!

If you have any specific questions just post here and I'm sure some of the candlemakers would be able to help you.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Becky :-) x
      Thanks Becky, thats v useful, do the starter kits come with fragrances and things? Also, not meaning to sound stupid, but how do you light a candle if it doesn't have a wick?
      Thanks

Comment

Hi Becky,

Most starter kits come with fragrance oils however you will get a list of what is included before you order.

A wickless candle is a wax melt/tart. These are designed to be burned in oil burners. You put the tart into the burner and light a tea light beneath it. The wax melts and you get the aroma from the melted wax. When the tea light goes out the wax sets again and so on.

I did a tutorial on candle making and will try and find the link for it.

How to make your first candle

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

we have brought a lot of starter candle making kits at bootsales as they are usually unwanted xmas pressies a lot of shops sell starter kits woolies whsmiths and toyshops you will need a double boiler to melt the wax as these dont usually come with the sets weve brought them on bootsales aswell they all come with basic instructions and are a good way to start to see if you like it
          Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
            Hi Becky,

Most starter kits come with fragrance oils however you will get a list of what is included before you order.

A wickless candle is a wax melt/tart. These are designed to be burned in oil burners. You put the tart into the burner and light a tea light beneath it. The wax melts and you get the aroma from the melted wax. When the tea light goes out the wax sets again and so on.

I did a tutorial on candle making and will try and find the link for it.

Cheers.

Lisa

Yep, that's what I meant, sorry I should have been more clear, wickless candles and wax melts are the same thing.
            www.purplesparkle.co.uk
            http://purplesparklecrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Help making that first candle

Hi

I have just joined this forum and saw this thread. Try candlemaking.org.uk this site was done by a friend of mine and I think will cover any questions you may have about candle making

Hope this helps all newbies
              Pauline

GroovyCart
              Folksy
              MISI
              Ehive

Comment

I started with a candlemaking kit, but to be honest, a lil research on the net can be much better. I find started kits expensive for what you.

I think pillar candles are a great way to start making candles and very easy to make. Basically, if you have some left over wax from old candles, an old heat proof container (yoghurt pots are great) and some string, you can start. Some blu tac and BBQ wooden skewers also help!!

Melt the wax as you would melt chocolate (in a heat proof jug over boiling water) and for the mould. Pierce a hole in your yoghurt pot at the bottom and thread cotton string through it so a few centimetres of the string comes through the bottom. Secure this with blue tac so the hole and string is completely secure (it stops the wax leaking out). Then, snap your wooden bbq skewers in half and put them side by side. Use elastic bands to tie them together at the two ends and thread the rest of your cotton string through this. Put the skewers onto the open part of the mould and pull the string taught. When the wax is melted, simply pour it into the mould and wal la - you got a candle!! It should slide out of the container when cold (if not about 15mins in a freezer should help) and trim the end of the wick (the bottom which now becomes the top, after you've removed the blu tac of course!!)

So a great and no cost kinda way to try it out!!
                Why do tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow!!

Comment

Working...
                X