White markings on Candles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White markings on Candles?

Hey again everyone (hopefully this time I wont be a numpty)

I have made my first candles and the first two turned out ok for a beginner, however the next batch came out with white markings.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently was I whacked the second lot in the freezer for a min or two to help ease them out. Im not sure how much force I can use to loosen them.

Have I done something wrong? Left them in too long? Not dry enough? Or would the fridge work better?

Many thanks once again
    Im down with Fraggle Rock

Fraggies Fripperies

http://fraggiesfripperies.blogspot.com

Were you having problems getting the candles out of the mould and that's why you put them in the freezer? If you were sounds like some of the wax has got stuck in the mould leaving the white marks. I always leave my candles to set over night and night times out of ten they slide out the mould easily enough. If not try some silicone spray to help mould release.

What temperature did you pour the candles at? If you poured too cold you will get white jump lines in the candle.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for that. I actually used your tutorial as a guide so the temp was 150F. (you a life saver)

Yes I was having trouble removing them so I think I am being too impatient and not leaving them long enough to dry.

I will sit on my hands for the rest of the evening and resist the urge.
      Im down with Fraggle Rock

Fraggies Fripperies

http://fraggiesfripperies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by fragg1es View Post
        Hi,

I will sit on my hands for the rest of the evening and resist the urge.
        I know it's hard but I learned the hard way - the candle will only come out when it's good and ready no matter how much I shout at it to hurry up it wont come out cause it's not scarred!! That's the hardest part.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by fragg1es View Post
          Hey again everyone (hopefully this time I wont be a numpty)

I have made my first candles and the first two turned out ok for a beginner, however the next batch came out with white markings.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently was I whacked the second lot in the freezer for a min or two to help ease them out. Im not sure how much force I can use to loosen them.

Have I done something wrong? Left them in too long? Not dry enough? Or would the fridge work better?

Many thanks once again
          i made some candles some time ago and some of them had those white marks/lines all over, think its bcoz i used washing-up liquid on my plastic moulds, which fused with hot wax. i did others wthout putting some liquid in moulds and they came out ok. dunno, maybe it makes a difference.
          TiTaNiA

my stuff:
          www.flickr.com/photos/titaniaxxx/

my blogs:
          http://www.the-world-of-vitrail-glass.blogspot.com
          http://www.sew-it-pretty.blogspot.com

all-crafts-in-one blog:
          www.marthaafterhours.blogspot.com

Comment

I always use washing up liquid to clean my moulds, that and hot water, but i make sure they're throughly dry before I use them again!!!

I hate waiting for the candles too, but yes, you have to leave them a good while, overnight is best (and as i tend to make them in the evening it's ok).

If they still don't come out, then yes, you can pop them in the freezer, but not for very long (about 10mins) or they can crack!!!
            Why do tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow!!

Comment

Working...
            X