The best glue for jewellery making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best glue for jewellery making

I am after some advice on the best glue to use when making stud earrings or repairing jewellery. I have been using super glue but it becomes brittle and breaks away from the metal findings. All suggestions would be welcome

Hellflower

Super glue isn't ideal as it tends to dry white.
    I use GS Hypo cement which dries crystal clear and has an amazingly fine nozzel for clean appliction.
    For heavy duty I use a two part epoxy resin like araldite.
    You get the best results if you key the surface first on the metal work. make a few scratches so that the glue has something to attach to.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I use araldite a lot too...you can get one for glass that dries clear. The trick with araldite like beadsbydesign says is to scuff the surface and mix the 2 part epoxy really well....for about a minute. Otherwise it'll stay too elastic. Try and avoid araldite in syringes...i've found it goes off too quickly and therefore you can't mix it well.
      The next step up for superduper strength (the glue I use on hardwearing things like rings) is scotch weld dp460....you can get it here http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/Pro...?ProductId=312

...it's a little bit more pricey but it's last years (literally) and is practically bullet proof!
      Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
      Dichroic Glass Tutorials
      Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

'Hypo Cement Adhesive' is highly recommended for jewellery projects

Debbie
        www.beadservice.net
        On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

I have the same problem! Glue seems to be a complete mindfield there's sooo many different types out there! I tried the araldite you have to mix together but it didn't work for me.

Does the Scotch Weld dp460 dry clear?

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
            Super glue isn't ideal as it tends to dry white.
            I use GS Hypo cement which dries crystal clear and has an amazingly fine nozzel for clean appliction.
            For heavy duty I use a two part epoxy resin like araldite.
            You get the best results if you key the surface first on the metal work. make a few scratches so that the glue has something to attach to.
            Great tip, I just used a little scalpel to make some scratches and it's sticking much better than before.
            Last edited by MiaCraft; 07-06-2016, 06:52 PM.
            The Crazy Bulk supplements at https://deadliftdonkey.com/my-crazy-bulk-review help build muscle.

Comment

If I need something to really stick. This one is the best I have found. http://www.powerbonduk.com/
              It's expensive but you only need one drop
              Casting pewter..in a field near you.

Comment

Did you try the E-600 Adhesive ?

Comment

Originally posted by glasskavas View Post
                  I use araldite a lot too...you can get one for glass that dries clear. The trick with araldite like beadsbydesign says is to scuff the surface and mix the 2 part epoxy really well....for about a minute. Male Extra Otherwise it'll stay too elastic. Try and avoid araldite in syringes...i've found it goes off too quickly and therefore you can't mix it well.
                  The phenq next step up for superduper strength (the glue I use on hardwearing things like rings) is scotch weld dp460....

...it's a little bit more pricey but it's last years (literally) and is practically bullet proof!
                  I would highly recommend not to get this, complete waste of money. (although its just my point of view may be i was expecting alot from it)
                  Last edited by Gianna19; 16-02-2017, 10:52 AM.
                  Supplements that works like steroids GNC https://legalsteroids.best/gnc/ find more

Comment

Since the original query was posted in 2008 I expect the situation has been resolved by now.

Comment

Gorilla Glue Made in USA is new to the uk. I use it for archery gluing the arrow tips in so I can tell you. It is strong stuff.
                      Habbyworld Sewing Supplies Website

Habbyworld Facebook

Comment

Great thinking for jewellery making!!!
                        Online Sarees | Online Kurtis

Comment

Please, if you are going to reply/comment on queries and questions check the date of the original and the frequency of responses even if you can't be bothered to read what other people have posted.

The original query is over EIGHT years old and is not the kind of question where someone would still be waiting for answer.

Comment

Working...
                          X