Thread question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread question

I've been using invisible thread for a while now and it works really well when I make my chickens. However I used in the the little dress I made the other day and one of the layers has just come undone when the bottom was stepped on. I've noticed too when I pull it that it snaps easily - should this happen?
    I tend to use this type of thread because it is invisible and I don't need to worry about having lots of different bobbins of different threads for the machine. Will I be better off going for 'proper' thread and just chasnging the bobbin about frequently? Bit of a daft question I know but I want to see what everyone else does!
    Thanks
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

It does snap easy.I use it on some things like drapes but it doesn't do well on things you wash a lot.
    Shabby Neesey

Comment

invisible thread has very different qualities than normal thread. Its stiff and more rigid so when its on something like a dress it doesnt 'move' with the fabric - if that makes sense

I would use normal cotton thread as long as its good quality you should find it holds better
      Im down with Fraggle Rock

Fraggies Fripperies

http://fraggiesfripperies.blogspot.com

Comment

I agree withe everybody else ... it's a convenient idea having invisible thread but it does have its limitations!

Sorry Swirly, you'll just have to improve your sewing and get some more bobbins!
        Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Yep, proper thread works best for me too. I must have about 20 different bobbins on the go at the moment! When I first started sewing I hated the whole bobbin changing thing, it was just holding me up as far as I was concerned. I got used to it in the end and now I don't even think about it.
          Natalie
          website blog

Comment

same here... i find it horrible stuff to work with. You will find that you use white bobbins for 80% of your sewing anyway, so won't need lots of spare ones.
            incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
            ___

Comment

I`m not a fan of invisible thread for garments. I do quite a few clothing alterations/ repairs and it`s always hems that are overlocked or blind stitched with invisible thread by the manufacturers that come down. The lower and upper loops just don`t seem to stay together.

It is a pain having so many bobbins! I had a lovely collection when I had my Frisster Rossman machine built up over eight years, then I changed to a Husqvarna viking machine and had to start all over again!!!

Poly-cotton sew all thread such as Gutermann or Coats ( new range, absolutely lovely!) are great threads for garments but I`m sure there are other brands.

Comment

Gutermanns

Gutermanns is my favourite thread.

I'm lucky that I have access to wholesale amounts of thread through my MinL's shop. I've tried invisible thread and I hate the stuff. But this is mainly becausr I can't see it properly to thread the sewing machine etc.

Also, I think it's a wee bit too itchy for garments to go next to tender skin. It's great for hanging Christmas tree decs or Easter tree decs though!

Jules
                Apple Tree Crafts
                www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Thanks guys!! I'd only ever used it on my chickens before where it works beautifully but I guess I'll have to buy more bobbins - a trip to the fabric shop is calling me then
                  Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                  My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                  My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
                    It's great for hanging Christmas tree decs or Easter tree decs though!

Jules
                    Do you have an Easter tree Jules? that sounds lovely
                    incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
                    ___

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
                      Thanks guys!! I'd only ever used it on my chickens before where it works beautifully but I guess I'll have to buy more bobbins - a trip to the fabric shop is calling me then
                      Do you have one of those cheap "Card Market" shops in your neck of the woods?

If you have, go to the "sewing" section. Ours sell packs of pins, threads, safety-pins, tape measures etc AND 12 metallic bobbins for 59p !! Admittedly, they have cheap cotton on them, but I tend to cut all that off. 12 bobbins for 59p Bargain!
                      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Easter Tree

Originally posted by incywincy View Post
                        Do you have an Easter tree Jules? that sounds lovely
                        We always have an Easter Tree. I think I do almost as much decorating for Easter as I do for Christmas. I'm a sucker for holiday decorating, especially Easter. It heralds the better weather to come. This is the small tree in the hallway about 4 years ago. Oh, and the moggy is R.D. I'm not David Bailey am I? It's a tad blurry....

Apart from the pink egg and the checked one, the other eggs are duck eggs that I blew and painted with glass paints.
                        Jules

Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

That's so lovely Jules, I might have to make a little tree this year. I know Em would love to paint some eggs
                          ___

Comment

Blossom...

Originally posted by incywincy View Post
                            That's so lovely Jules, I might have to make a little tree this year. I know Em would love to paint some eggs
                            Blossom should be plentiful for Easter this year, as Easter is so early. We used to take ours on a nature ramble to collct blossom to make the Easter trees. We have one on the dining table and one on the hall table. These days any suggestion of , dare I say it, walking, is met with sardonic raised eyebrows and teenage scorn....

They still make a fuss if I say I'm not decorating for Easter though, so I hope they do trees etc for their children in the years to come.

Jules
                            Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Your Easter Tree is beautiful Jules. We started doing something similar a few years ago when we were on holiday in Wales for the Easter break and have done it each year since. We have a permanent seasons corner in our house anyway so we are always looking for new ways to decorate it.

Nat

http://roseberrycrafts.blogspot.com/
                              Natalie
                              website blog

Comment

Working...
                              X