Ironing Board Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironing Board Table

Oooh, my brain's all over the place today!

I bought myself a new sewing table (£10 from a second-hand shop) and have my 2 sewing machines on that.

Which means I now have my old table.
    It's from the early 90's - it's black ash and is literally a table top on side panels (ie, no drawers)

What I'd like to do is somehow cover the entire table top so it's like a giant ironing board so I can use it for cutting out on and ironing.

Do you think if I used the thickest wadding there is and then stretched canvas from Dunelm over it and then got hubby to somehow screw it to the table that it would work?

It would mean I could chuck out my ironing board from the sewing room.
    Blog Website Flickr

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
    What I'd like to do is somehow cover the entire table top so it's like a giant ironing board so I can use it for cutting out on and ironing.
    I think it would work, after all an ironing board is really only a piece of wood with a thin layer of foam and covered in material
    Debs

My website: www.debeadz.co.uk

My blog: www.debeadz.blogspot.com

Comment

I reckon it would work too

I am sure you have experienced different types of ironing boards and are aware that nice thick dense wadding is the best sort (after spending 6 months in a rented flat trying to iron my work shirts on a metal ironing board with hardly nay padding! and generally ending up looking like a hobo due to the amount of creases in my clothes)

I would go with a staple gun to attach it, just stretch the material nice and tight
      www.beadlab.com

Comment

Heat Proof...

...what about some of that heatproof table protector stuff you get? It's like extra thick felt with a layer of something heat diffusing on one side. Then cover the heatproof stuff with layers of old sheeting or calico.

I have three tables in the refurbished workroom...and I still do most of my work on the ironing board.

There's an author called Derek Longden, and he wrote most of his first book on an old typewriter placed on his ironing board, and he used to balance the ironing board across the bath and write when he was bathing. He wrote a book about his mother, which was on telly. Mum was played by Thora Hird....

Jules
        Apple Tree Crafts
        www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts;60034
          There's an author called Derek Longden, and he wrote most of his first book on an old typewriter placed on his ironing board, and he used to balance the ironing board across the bath and write when he was bathing. He wrote a book about his mother, which was on telly. Mum was played by Thora Hird....

[B
          Jules[/B]
          That was a brilliant film. Not the sort of stuff DH would ever watch so it must have been on when he was on nights!
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Uh Oh. I sense an urgent and important trip to Dunelm coming on!

When we bought our first house when we were 21, we bought a 1-bedroom house. Looking back it was so teeny-tiny, but we were so chuffed to have our own place.

We used to eat all our meals off the ironing board as there was no room for even the smallest of tables.

I can vividly remember eating a christmas dinner off the ironing board!

Happy days
            Blog Website Flickr

Comment

What's an ironing board? Tee hee!
              Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
              My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
              My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

101 Uses for Your Ironing Board.....

....none of which is ironing!

I never iron clothing unless it's vital, but I couldn't do without my ironing board, and iron, for my sewing!

Jules
                Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post

I never iron clothing unless it's vital, but I couldn't do without my ironing board, and iron, for my sewing!

Jules
                  Lol ... Ditto!
                  I phoned my Mum yesterday and she was ironing her bed sheets!! mad!
                  incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
                  ___

Comment

Originally posted by incywincy View Post
                    Lol ... Ditto!
                    OMG - you're mum has way too much time on her hands!

Our ironing board is permanently up in my workroom - no clothes ever go near it!
                    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Undies....

Originally posted by incywincy View Post
                      Lol ... Ditto!
                      I have seen my mother ironing socks, towels and still worse, getting out her sleeve board in order to press the cups of bras..........

When we took the AP's to Switzerland, my mother was at the launderette so often we thought she was main-lining Bold.......I was watching her carefully in case she started blowing bubbles through her nose....

Jules
                      Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

When I lived briefly with my grandparents when I was 17, everything got ironed! My shoes were cleaned for me, my dinner was on the table when I got home from work, my bed was made for me when I went to work..... the list goes on, it drove me mad!

How I would love someone to iron my clothes now though....
                        www.beadlab.com

Comment

I use a old quilt to cover my table when I Iron.I can't stand for long becouse of back problems so I sit at the table to iron. Mind you I only iron my sewing,never my clothes lololol
                          Shabby Neesey

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
                            in order to press the cups of bras..........
                            That is hilarious!

And pointless (just like the bra cups hahahahahah!)
                            Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
                              OMG - you're mum has way too much time on her hands!

Our ironing board is permanently up in my workroom - no clothes ever go near it!
                              That is nothing! She phoned me this morning as I emailed her a photo of Emma in our kitchen and she said ... 'Just thought I'd phone to say your oven door could do with a real good clean'

lol, not sure that's ever been done?? In fact I don't think they make cleaners strong enough to clean my oven door!

Something else to put on my 'to do' list
                              incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
                              ___

Comment

Working...
                              X