Odd Question about Scents....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Question about Scents....

I make lots of scented fabric items, pillows etc. I usually use parafin wax melted down, to which I add scented oils to match whatever I'm doing. When the wax has reset I chop it up finely and stick inside whatever I'm making.

What I want to know is, is there any other way of adding a lasting scent to fabric items? What else can I use as a solid 'carrier' for the scented oil?

I can't use neat oils as they'll leave oily marks on the fabric that will show. At the moment I want to use strawberry scented oil, and the only thing I can think of are those thingies you can pop into your vacuum bag to freshen the air as you hoover.....I think I've seen strawberry ones in our local £1 emporium, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not really up on this sort of thing, so has anyone (please) got any better ideas?

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Jules there are things called aroma beads, you put them in the scented oil for a few days and they absorb the scent. I don't use them myself so can't really say if they will mark fabric but I know that they use them for car airfreshners and things in fabric bags.

Cheers.

Lisa
    Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

They Might Work!

I've had a wee shufty, and there are some for sale on eBay. They might be just the job. I've asked the seller if they sell smaller quantities....I don't need a kilo until I've decided whether or not they would work with my fabric things. Seem just the job so far, as you can scent them to suit your needs!

Maybe I'll go for the kilo....£20 though, including p&p.

Thanks Lisa!

Jules
      Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Hi Jules....I also make scented pillows, wallhangings etc, as well as wax melts, and I always use a cotton pad (the round ones you get in large bags, for face cleansing) I put the neat fragrance oil on that and make sure it is placed well in the middle of the filling inside your item, to prevent marking of the fabric, and I have had no problems with that. I also make up scented aroma beads for wedding favours etc and they don't mark the little organza bags, so they may work for you, but you would have to bag them up before putting them in a pillow etc, so it would be more work, and I'm all for making life easy! I have some aroma beads unscented at the minute, if you would like a sample to try, please pm me and I will send you some.

HTH
        Caz x
        Last edited by Caz; 07-01-2008, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Jo from sensory perfection does the aroma beads. I will add the link thingy.

http://www.sensoryperfection.co.uk/s...Yes&Thumbs=100

Cheers.

Lisa
          Bowed Over
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Hi Jules,
            I've got some aroma beads and also a botanical product called 'fibre fix' that does the same job. If you don't want to commit yourself to buying a large quantity before trying them out, I'd be more than happy to send some to you - just pm me your address & I'll pop some in the post.
            Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Wow....

...Thank you so much Jayne & Caz. What lovely generous offers!

I've actually just bought a kilo from Sensory Perfection (beat you to it Lisa!) as I was talking to another crafter on the phone and she tells me the aroma beads work a treat! Might give the cotton pads a go too, whilst I'm waiting for my aroma beads to arrive.

I had thought about holding all the wee beads in one place, and it's not really any extra work to join a couple of squares of scrap fabric together (got loads of scraps) and pop the beads into that. I'd probably make a stock of them and store them in a jar. Separate scents in separate jars of course!

Any idea on how long the scent lasts?

Jules
              Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
                Any idea on how long the scent lasts?

Jules
                Not too sure Jules as I don't use them but I would imagine they would last longer than a typical air freshner but looking forward to hear from the others who use them.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I have some that I made up four months ago and the scent is still there, but I would dispute claims that you can scent a room with them....they give a good scent in a car or wardrobe,or enclosed area, and like all scented items the scent is much stronger initially, but with the ones I made up 4 months ago, it is still easy to tell what scent they are, and the are not in sealed packs, just the little organza bags...They are very easy to do & the beads seem to absorb the oil quickly......hope this helps. I also use fragrance oil sprays to refresh scented fabrics before packaging....you need to check it won't stain your fabric, but I use only cotton fabric, and have never had a problem with it.

Caz x
                  Last edited by Caz; 07-01-2008, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I make scented hearts and doorstops and use wheat to fill them..

If I don't use fresh lavender or rose petals with the wheat, I put some wheat in a bowl and then add some scented oil and mix them about. The wheat soaks up the oil in much the same way as the aroma beads do. When the wheat has dried out, just pop them in. Unfortunately I haven't got any left now because I sold out before Christmas, but they certainly lasted from Summer when I made them to Christmas.

I get huge, 25kg bags of wheat from my local Farmers' supply shop for £6.00

Hope thats of help too
                    Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
                      I make scented hearts and doorstops and use wheat to fill them..

That seems like a really good idea, how long does the wheat 'hold onto' the scent?
                      Jayne

Comment

Brilliant!

This all such great advice - thanks girls!

Is there any kind of fixatixe you can prolong the scent-life with? If I'm making pomanaders or applesauce/cinnamon things I use orrisroot to help the scent last longer, but I don't think It would work on the aroma beads.

Jules
                        Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy4lee View Post
                          That seems like a really good idea, how long does the wheat 'hold onto' the scent?
                          I made a whole batch of them at the beginning of the summer .... it may even have been May ... and they still smelt at Christmas when I sold my last one.
                          Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Tree Crafts View Post
                            This all such great advice - thanks girls!

Is there any kind of fixatixe you can prolong the scent-life with? If I'm making pomanaders or applesauce/cinnamon things I use orrisroot to help the scent last longer, but I don't think It would work on the aroma beads.

Jules
                            As I understand it, the aroma beads act as their own fixative. If you have a look at http://www.aromabeadsonline.net/what_are_beads.htm
                            it gives you loads of information about the beads. I think the prices are pretty good too - it's where I got my beads from.
                            Jayne

Comment

Aroma Beads.....

My Aroma Beads have just arrived!

I've put them in jars (100g per jar) and added oil to each jar (30g of oil) and I'm sitting here shaking them up and down occasionally.

I followed Jo's information on the Sensory Perfection website, which is really helpful. Now I just need my 5kg of stuffing to arrive so I can get cracking.

There were free samples in my package from SP, so I think I may have to order some more oils. 'Halo' is just perfect for scented pillows.

Jules
                              Apple Tree Crafts

Comment

Working...
                              X