Pendant blanks from China!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pendant blanks from China!

Hello, I'm stuck and I thought this might be the place to find answers!
    I'm looking for interesting pendant blanks for some new illustrations of mine and a lot of blanks in the UK are very expensive, or very small. I've found a few nice and fairly unusual ones from China at a low cost, however I'm concerned about this sentence:

"Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility."

Has anyone here bought pendants from China before? Did they cost a lot in regards to the above sentence? The pendants themselves are a pack of 8 for £1.86 which is a bargain, even if they do take weeks to arrive. But I'd rather just find some in the UK is it means these extra charges come to a lot.

Thanks, I hope someone has some experience with this!

Import duty will only have to be paid if the total value of the package is over £18. Then you will have to pay duty at about 2-3% or so, VAT at 20% but the biggest pain is the £11 fee from the post office for collecting the duty and VAT.
    I have bought lots of small packages of beads from china with no problems or extra fees.
    The only thing you will have to be aware of is that the findings may not be compliant with the UK nickel content requirements.

Melanie

Comment

Ive bought from china but didnt get to pay any duties/tax.But it was only a few pinds worth.Took about 2 weeks to arrive.
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Thanks for your replies, you're all so helpful here!
        I hadn't thought about the nickel content... I'll do some looking into that, if I do decide to buy. Thanks so much again folks!

Comment

Depends what it is/how the classification ends up, but to get it to your door could make the total cost close to £30 for the package.

e.g. Metal Pendants have an import duty rate of 4% and VAT rate of 20% and there's no duty on your package as it's under £135 in value. P&P, etc will bump up the cost.

So I'd be looking at that £18 package and thinking £30.... to be super sure. Anything less than that's a bonus.

Comment

What size pendant blanks are you looking for? I do some but they are rustic ones usually with the bark still on them so may not be what you want. Can't say how much or I'll get told off LOL.

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

Just to clarify - the VAT threshold for imported goods is now £15. If you go over this, you will pay VAT on the whole amount, including any postage, as well as handling fees - which will usually be either £8 or £13.50 depending on the size. Which as said, can end up doubling the price you've paid.

All of that said, it can still end up being a great deal cheaper than buying here.

Be careful with anything bought from China, however, in terms of ensuring it is compliant with EC nickel directives. Many Chinese made products are aimed at the US market, which doesn't have anything like the same stringent regulations for jewellery (or anything else that has skin contact). You are responsible for making sure that anything you sell here takes these into account.
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

There are so many small businesses over here who need the custom, I will always buy from the UK rather than abroad. And if you're looking for unusual silver or copper findings, you can't go wrong with looking at George's site.
                Heather
                Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

Most of those small businesses are just re-selling stuff made in China. Supporting someone else's business in the UK is fine, but at the same time, if you can save their profit and make it YOUR profit, isn't that still supporting UK small business?
                  Buying what you want from as close to the original maker makes most sense, whereever that maker may be ( I buy from a maker in the UK who makes for eg Cooksons, from India, China and Hong Kong)
                  (and most reputable makers in China follow the nickel directives so they can sell to Europe...buying findings made in the USA poses much more of a risk as they don't and often include nickel)

Comment

You make a very good point about buying from the US.

Many people feel far more confident about buying made-in-the-US items, rather than from China, for a variety of reasons.

However, they clearly do not realise that a variety of US items and processes do not comply with EU standards, which may or may not affect the actual legality of selling finished goods incorporating these items or materials.

Best to buy EU-manufactured items if at all possible (carbon footprint included) or if that is not possible, ensure you buy from someone who can provide suitable documentation that the items or materials they are selling are manufacture to EU standards.

Comment

Also, be mindful of the fact that who you are buying from might have bought from the US/China, so you need to check that your sources are proper businesses and not importers/shifters of stuff ..... ask them. If they're shifty or want to know why you're asking, then they aren't likely to know about the nickel content .... so walk away. Anybody trading in the UK legitimately will know why you're asking and be pleased to tell you/verify their stock is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearlescence View Post
                        Most of those small businesses are just re-selling stuff made in China. Supporting someone else's business in the UK is fine, but at the same time, if you can save their profit and make it YOUR profit, isn't that still supporting UK small business?
                        If everyone thinks like that, no wonder we get those huge tanker ships arriving from China.

You'll notice that I mentioned a UK-based maker of handmade findings. Not everyone buys mass produced.
                        Heather

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

Comment

Yes, fair enough, and some of my findings stock is manufactured in the UK too.
                          But where do you think the silver comes from? and the gold? (Clogau?) (although I just lootked at the clogau website and their stuff is 'touched with welsh gold' so it is homeopathically welsh....
                          In any case you would not ship precious metal findings in a container in a tanker.
                          I'd love to be able to stock natural UK pearls but if I tried without a licence I'd be arrested, and there aren't any, anyway.
                          Last edited by Incognito 2; 27-04-2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Silver? Well, it comes from the USA, Russia, Mexico, Israel. Gold has been found in the north of Ireland, close to my home. As have pearls
                            Heather

Comment

There are a few heavily protected wild pearl mussel beds in england and in scotland. Two Edinburgh jewellers hold the only licences to sell new stock natural pearls. I was in touch recently with the DEFRA expert on the mussels and he said he had never seen a pearl in his time as an expert (plenty of dead ones where cretins had harvested them though) The UK used to be rich in pearls and the pearls from england were one of the reasons the Romans invaded
                              My point about silver is that it does not come from the UK, and neither does most of the gold available today (Unless you are the Queen when you get dibsies) So even if a precious metal item is manufactured in the UK the basic material comes in on one of those big container ships or however.
                              I'm all for keeping as much as possible local if I can, but it is hard. I'm presently trying to source some really nice earring findings in a totally new style and thought they were made in Poland, and the possible supplier there certainly pretended that they were..but, a bit more poking around and ..guess what...China. I still haven't found the manufacturer, only some wholesalers.

Comment

Working...
                              X