Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you advise on paint? Please.

hello.

I make things out of wood and within this mad bit of crafting i cut letters out wood and paint them. People hang them on doors etc to spell out their children's name.....

Now my problem is i find that when i've left them to dry for about a week and put them away they stick together. I've tried wrapping them in tissue paper but they stick to that too.

I cut the letters out of MDF and paint them with aerosol paint from focus.Acrylic paint. which says they should be completely dry in 48hrs.!!
    I've also tried varnishing them but they still stick.

Any ideas? Does anyone else out there make these sort of letters and what do you use?
    Please help i'm getting a bit disheartend with them..
    Sharon
    Quirky items from a MAD family.

Wood and MDF are porous surfaces and need a primer to be applied first. If you search through the art categories in ebay or anywhere else, you will probably find the correct one to use with acrylic paint. If you have an arts & craft shop nearby, I'm sure they would tell you what to buy.
    I'm afraid I can't remember what I used when I made hand painted models a few years ago, but hope this helps a bit.

Bren
    Bren
    www.digby-bears.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that.

I do undercoat them first, but with you saying that, maybe the undercoat i use isn't compatable with acrylic paint...hum... i must check that...
      Thanks for your advise...

Comment

I do wish my memory was better then I could tell you exactly what I used . However, I will see if I can find out for you.
        Bren
        Bren
        www.digby-bears.co.uk

Comment

I do woodcrafts to and mainly I use good old Farrow and Ball emulsion paint, on both mdf and pine, and don;t have any problems with it, it soaks into the wood rather than just coating the surface, although sometimes I do give it two coats. When it needs an extra bit of protection I give it a varnish with a clear varnish and it never bleeds or anything. Alternaitvely to varnish you could give it a wax, depends on what look you are going for though.
          Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

Also just to let you know when you click on your link in your profile to your website it says invalid link.
            Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the message about my web site. I closed it down last week and forgot to change it on here. I'll do that now.....i think my mind is going too.

Thanks for advise on wood. I'll give it a go.

Comment

Hello

On my wooden plaques I seal them first using Americana Wood Sealer by Decoart. Once completely dry I then paint using a selection of acrylic paints (depending on which colours I require) such as Crafter's Acrylic or American by Decoart, Acrylic by Inscribe and Anita's All Purpose Acrylic Craft Paint.

I leave the paint to completely dry for a few hours before glazing with Daler-Rowney Mediums Gloss for Acrylics (comes in a greyish tube, 75ml, approx £3.99). This can either be mixed at the paint stage to give a light glaze or used on it's own as an actual glaze (the latter if you are going to write on your plaques after painting).

I have no problem with my plaques sticking together when I use the above products.

Hope you find this useful!

Emma
                Emma

Comment

mix pva glue with water and paint this on first. completly seals the mdf ready for paint. plus u
                  its cheap.

Comment

you should prime the wood first, so much gets soaked up in the wood. I would use Gesso, coms in white and black and other colours too. Acrylics are fine to use, then coat in your varnish. Varnish can be a bit tacky once applied so i would suggest not laying your pieces on top of each other whilst drying!

I dont know what acrylics you use, but for craft use you can use daler rowney system 3, at one time hobbycraft was selling the largest pot for £6.49, usually 12 quidi think, not sure if they still are though!

s.x
                    Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Working...
                    X