Thoughts? Making wire hearts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts? Making wire hearts

Hullo! I quite liked these as an idea for holding titles and prices (for the mythical stall I have in my head ) but - out of stock. And frankly, they look like they should be so easy to make! It's just three hearts out of one bit of wire... but.. eh.

Can anyone think how to get a good, repeatable shape? Would a wire jig thing do it? (I have one, never used it!). I feel like I'm asking for another quick fix but I just wanted to see if anyone had any inspiration - it's a bit of an awkward shape and I'll play with it, just looking for ideas! Will certainly feedback anything that works.

If you can bear to not have hearts - garden row/plant markers can be pretty economical and cute. Fold the bottoms of the wires into a flat shape at the right height, and stick down with blue tack...or wrap the ends around a flattish smallish rock to hold in place, or whatever you can think of.

I've also used cute wire photo holders, and short and tall menu card holders. I have most recently been using small clear acrylic photo frames, but they tend to blow over. So a little blue tack is useful.

Comment

If you can find a heart cake cutter it would give you the basic shape and maybe use a skewer or knitting needle to press into the top dip as you go. or even block from a childs shape sorter toy.
      You can get thick aluminium or copper wire from www.wires.co.uk.

Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
        If you can find a heart cake cutter it would give you the basic shape and maybe use a skewer or knitting needle to press into the top dip as you go. or even block from a childs shape sorter toy.
        You can get thick aluminium or copper wire from www.wires.co.uk.

Melanie
        Ooh! Nice, I didn't think of that And thank you for the link - I have quite a lot of wire kicking about but it's all a bit flimsy, so I could probably use some new stuff for this.

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
        If you can bear to not have hearts - garden row/plant markers can be pretty economical and cute. Fold the bottoms of the wires into a flat shape at the right height, and stick down with blue tack...or wrap the ends around a flattish smallish rock to hold in place, or whatever you can think of.

I've also used cute wire photo holders, and short and tall menu card holders. I have most recently been using small clear acrylic photo frames, but they tend to blow over. So a little blue tack is useful.
        Those are ace ideas! Thank you I do use the heart motif quite a bit so it seemed right for this use - but I'll give it a go, and if it doesn't work out some of your ideas are great!

Comment

You could always use a thick aluminium florist wire which will bend nicely and is fairly cheap in Hobbycraft
          So many beads so little time!!

https://twitter.com/Chillipepdesign
          https://www.facebook.com/Chillipepperdesigns

Comment

For the'jig' (thingy to wind the wire round) I would find a block of wood. I'd bang a nail in where I want the lower pointy bit of the heart to be and another where the top pointy (the cleavage?) bit will be. then look around for two matching cylinders - pots, mini tins, bottles bits of broom handle (if you use glass or ceramics shout health and safety at yourself) and stick or jam them in place to be the roundy bits. Then you can wind the wire round it.
            If you did two hearts on one stand you could put lables between them (like a sandwich).

Gosh that was hard to explain but so clear to envision.....

Comment

I have a clear vision of heart cleavage

Actually, that was really helpful... since I've no idea where to get a small enough heart cutter, I may try that. Very well thought out (and explained!)

I was actually thinking I'd make each heart have three layers - two to pinch the card, and one to fold back to be the supporting foot. The theory sounds great - I'll let you know about the practice O.O

Comment

Originally posted by Tumblebead View Post
                You could always use a thick aluminium florist wire which will bend nicely and is fairly cheap in Hobbycraft
                Oops, didn't spot this.. thanks! I took a look at the millions of different types on the website linked above and thought "Um... perhaps what I already have will do"! I'm far too easily confused! Thick florist wire sounds spot on, though. Is this the sort of gauge you were thinking?

Comment

the three layers thing - oooo that is sooooooo clever. You are a genius.

Comment

Originally posted by ErinT View Post
                    Oops, didn't spot this.. thanks! I took a look at the millions of different types on the website linked above and thought "Um... perhaps what I already have will do"! I'm far too easily confused! Thick florist wire sounds spot on, though. Is this the sort of gauge you were thinking?
                    No that looks a bit too thin, I have some which is 2mm thick made by Oasis Floral Products, but I can not see it on the website
                    So many beads so little time!!

https://twitter.com/Chillipepdesign
                    https://www.facebook.com/Chillipepperdesigns

Comment

Don't know the link, but there is a lady on you tube who shows how to make hearts out of wire, and its sooo easy, just type in how to make metal heart and see what pops up, she is american, very good, sorry don't have the link.
                      http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChillOutChic
                      http://folksy.com/shops/Amberlilly

Comment

That wire looks quite thick - could it be coat hanger wire? With the jig thing but to keep it a bit stronger for the thicker wire. I would draw out a shape of a heart on a bit of wood. I would hammer in some nails right on the line all around it, but when you get to the bottom point put the nail just outside the line, do the same with the nail in the bossom part of your heart, directly above the bottom point. I would start with your wire inside the bottom point nail and then take the wire round the outside of the other nails, bending it all around the round heart shape, dip the wire in at the centre of the bossom and then back outside and all around to the bootom point again. At that point take out your heart shape and turn the wire round and do the same thing again. You should have two repeated hearts from the same piece of wire, exactly the same size and the rest of the coat hanger to use.

Comment

Ok... thank you, I think I understand that! I guess I'll see what wire I can get (where do you get wire coathangers these days?!) - I may be able to get to Hobbycraft tomorrow - and then the sort of jig I need based on how strong it is. I'm not quite sure I get the turning part but I'd probably see what you mean when I try it

Comment

The floral wire sounds great.

Practice with a bottle first, simple circles, and see if it works.

If it does you can then invest more time in making a heart shaped jig. But you'll still have a workable alternative in the short term!
                            Do not watch this space

Comment

If you go with the nails in wood - which sounds the simplest way - just make 3 hearts on top of each other and then bend one back for the stand. 2mm aluminium wire should be soft enough to bend easily but still strong enough to hold the shape and stand on its own.

Melanie

Comment

Working...
                              X