A saw point...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A saw point...

So.... at a craft market over xmas I saw a guy who was cutting out the designs in coins using nothing more than a clamp and a fret saw with a kind of (what I assume must be) a hair thin diamond file / saw / blade.

I would very much like to have a go at this as I think I would be good at it but cannot find these blades / saws / files.... does anyone know what the name for them is or where they can be found?

any help much appreciated!

regards

Ash
    Asking me to make you a shelf is like asking Michealangelo to creosote your fence.

http://www.woodsweatandtrees.co.uk

Originally posted by Duke of Burl View Post
    So.... at a craft market over xmas I saw a guy who was cutting out the designs in coins using nothing more than a clamp and a fret saw with a kind of (what I assume must be) a hair thin diamond file / saw / blade.

I would very much like to have a go at this as I think I would be good at it but cannot find these blades / saws / files.... does anyone know what the name for them is or where they can be found?

any help much appreciated!

regards

Ash

Hi Ash,

yes, I have looked into this a while ago and found the site below.

I had thought of doing oak leaves and acorns for obvious reasons!

You might get some info from their website if you feel it ethical or you might want to contact them first?
    It's not unique in anyway and has been around for ages, I just thought it to time consuming for me at the moment but you never know, I might be tempted myself one day?

I hope some of this helps?

Regards

Vik

http://www.coinwear.co.uk/

Oakdale Studios Facebook
    Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
    bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

that's beautiful, but isn't it an offence to deface coins of the realm?
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
        that's beautiful, but isn't it an offence to deface coins of the realm?
        That was my first thought, so checked out Royal Mint website - nothing.

I did find this though?

http://www.24carat.co.uk/frame.php?u...cingcoins.html

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Beautiful but agree think it is illegal and punishable with a stay in 'The Tower'

Comment

I do a few fairs where there is a stallholder doing this but he uses old and foreign coinage and his wife then makes jewellery out of them. They are beautiful and he works on them at the stall and it is completely mesmerising!

They are an older couple so I am not sure they have a website but next time I see them, I will try to find out. I wouldn't like to see someone doing this with current coinage though
            Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
            Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
            Follow me on Twitter:
            @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

I have seen this guy at a few craft fairs. His work is terrific, and he is very knowledgeable about coins. If I remember correctly, you can only use coins which are no longer in circulation, otherwise you are committing treason.

The only exception seems to be coins from the USA, which can be merrily chopped up.

cheers
              John
              www.jbwoodcraft.co.uk

Comment

Don't want to be done for aiding and abetting - yes it is illegal to deface the coin of the relm - but wan't the Duke's original question about the how to?
                It's a bog standard jewellery technique. I expect he was using a jewellery saw and jewellery blades that he bought from a jeweller's tool shop like Walshes or Cooksons.The blade to choose should have about 3 teeth equalling the thickness of what you are cutting.
                You might find the saw called a piercing saw and the technique called piercing. You drill a tiny hole (with a jeweller's drill) insert the blade into the hole and fix the blade into the saw.
                It's not as easy as that, it need tensioning, putting in upside down to a wood saw blade, cuts are on the down stoke, you'll find things easier with a bench pin and not a clamp, and there's the squinty eye trick to cut on the line. Ooo look what I learned in 3 years at college....
                Files are jewellers files. They are called needle files. I'd say buy a set. They come with different sections, round, D shape, rectangular etc to get into those awkward corners.

Comment

To add to the previous post, you can get even smaller files called escapement files which are tiny and are used in watch making and for very fine work. A combination of needle and escapement would be best I think for such detailed work.
                  www.belovedly.co.uk
                  www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
                  www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

it is possible to cut them out on scroll saw machine with a metal blade..

steve

Comment

I totally agree with Ali it is fascinating to watch.

There is a guy doing this most weekends at the craft & Gift Fair in Bakewell. He always has quite a crowd round. My favourites are the old Threepenny Bits. Makes me all nostalgic!

Libby

Comment

Why not simply ask the guy I offered up in my post?

http://www.coinwear.co.uk/aboutus.html

Oakdale Studios Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
                        bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
                          Beautiful but agree think it is illegal and punishable with a stay in 'The Tower'
                          Yes, but they have a lovely ballroom.
                          http://www.kirkstoneleathercraft.co.uk/

Comment

These people take "it" to the next level...... http://www.hairygrowler.co.uk/index.html

Take it easy though, you could be there a while feasting your eyes!!

Oakdale Studios Facebook

Comment

Oh my, the name of their website just made me snort coffee all over my keyboard..! NOT what I was expecting for such pretty jewellery

Comment

Working...
                              X