crochet help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crochet help please!

I've just started teaching myself crochet and am finding it very relaxing. I'm having a bit of trouble with the tension though...I think! I'm not quite sure. At the moment I'm trying to make a scarf and am using double crochet but the end that I'm working on always seems narrower than the beginning - is this tension? How can I rectify the problem? I can stretch the wool and it all looks the same width again, is it something I can fix when I've finished by wetting the wool and laying it out to dry? I've tried loosening the threat but it still ends up the same or doesn't feel very comfortable.

Also!!!! In my crochet book it says to use 'Coats Lyric 8/8 medium-weight cotton yarn' what does this mean? In the shops I could only Rowan wool???
    www.thoughts.com/still_learning/blog

Well done on getting this far! It can be fiddly to start!

I've just started teaching myself crochet and am finding it very relaxing. I'm having a bit of trouble with the tension though...I think! I'm not quite sure. At the moment I'm trying to make a scarf and am using double crochet but the end that I'm working on always seems narrower than the beginning - is this tension? How can I rectify the problem?

This is probably because your initial 'chain' and first few rows are a bit loose compaired to the rest? Then once you've got into it you have set a better tension. (iykwim)

I can stretch the wool and it all looks the same width again, is it something I can fix when I've finished by wetting the wool and laying it out to dry? I've tried loosening the threat but it still ends up the same or doesn't feel very comfortable.

I don't think it can be sorted out after by wetting?
    You will have to experiment with your initial 'chain' by making a few small things and you will soon get the hang of it.

Also!!!! In my crochet book it says to use 'Coats Lyric 8/8 medium-weight cotton yarn' what does this mean? In the shops I could only Rowan wool???
    They usually give an example wool, which they think would work well. The size (8/8 medium) is what they say to use so that the scarf will end up the same size as stated in the pattern.
    But I usually just get what I think will look good in style and colour etc. Rowan is a decent brand so i'm sure it will be fine.

Hope you get there and don't give up. x
    incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
    ___

Comment

Thanks that's really helpful. I've restarted and so far so good! I'm thinking of attempting a sort of patchwork blanket and am making up lots of crochet squares using different wool that I've got. Do you think this'll work or am I doing it the long way round?!

Comment

Originally posted by still learning View Post
        Thanks that's really helpful. I've restarted and so far so good! I'm thinking of attempting a sort of patchwork blanket and am making up lots of crochet squares using different wool that I've got. Do you think this'll work or am I doing it the long way round?!
        It should work fine as long as your wool is all the same. i.e 4ply or dk (double knit)
        A patchwork blanket is a great idea to get your tension sorted
        Last edited by incywincy; 16-10-2007, 11:57 AM.
        incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
        ___

Comment

about that blanket....

Am on my fourth square now, tension is all good and inbetween doing my squres I've made two littel mobile phone 'socks'. But anyway! Back to the blanket. Am I creating a lot of work for myself? I was wondering if it would be better just to change colours rather than make up individual squares and then stitch them together??? Am thinking I might just put the four squares down to practice and restart???

Comment

Originally posted by still learning View Post
            Am on my fourth square now, tension is all good and inbetween doing my squres I've made two littel mobile phone 'socks'. But anyway! Back to the blanket. Am I creating a lot of work for myself? I was wondering if it would be better just to change colours rather than make up individual squares and then stitch them together??? Am thinking I might just put the four squares down to practice and restart???
            It is a lot of squares, but I think patchwork blankets look lovely. Plus you are getting lots of practice on your chain stitches and getting your tension right.

Phone socks sound great! You will have to show us your work once its all finshed.
            ___

Comment

Crochet Squares

I made a cushion cover out of squares to use up colours, and it was a bit of a pain stitching all the shapes together, so with the blanket I'm doing now I am doing the final round in all the same colour (whatever the inner rounds are), so I'm getting a stained glass effect.
              I'm also joining the squares AS I GO which is a lot easier. I don't know what stitches you are doing, but where you would have a chain you'd do a s/s or d/c (UK) into the opposite stitch on the other square.
              I wish I could show you.
              Try doing some 'how to' searches'. There are loads of little videos on the net of how to do stitches - I learned solomon's knot on the net(!) 'cause I couldn't figure out how to do it from the book.

Comment

I remember years ago when my sister was learning different knitting stitches she made loads of squares as practice pieces then sewed them into a blanket it looked great with squares of different textures. nearly 40 year and a few babies later the blanket is still going strong albeit a little thread bare in places

Comment

Working...
                X