Suggestions for good scissors for cutting material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for good scissors for cutting material

I do lots of different sorts of crafts and run many as workshops. As I try to do everything quite low cost - recycle and pounds shops! - I've never had any decent scissors for cutting material. In fact I need to buy several pairs for my workshops. Can people recommend some that are effective and good value (yes, I'm willing to move beyond the pound shops ...)? It's to cut materials, socks, jumpers. I know that I will need to make sure I don't use them for paper crafts and other stuff as I believe it makes them less sharp?
    Thanks for your help.
    Danielle
    Rubbish Revamped
    please read the rules about signatures

Sorry, I can't help with the scissors purchasing )got so many pairs of various types in the house already), but just had to say how much I love your "Rubbish Revamped" phrase. I use "Treasures from Trash" but think yours is more catchy!

Linda

Comment

aaah, thanks Linda. Treasures from Trash sounds lovely. What kind of things do you make?

Comment

Treasures from Trash sounds lovely. What kind of things do you make?
        Just small items using unwanted (and used) greeting cards - various small gift boxes, tags and if the unwanted item happens to be a hand made card I may just remount it, and any small thing I can find to do with left over yarn, thread or fabric - bookmarks, flowers for hair clips, scented sachets, pin cushions, small animals, pet blankets and toys using knitting, crochet, lacemaking, card craft, etc. I get bored quickly and am constantly looking for new ways of using up lots of the stuff I have acquired over the years.

A large proportion of the profits from the sale of these items goes to local independent charities.

Keeps me out of mischief!
        Linda

Comment

I like the orange handled Fiskars branded dressmaking scissors, you can get them in various lengths too. Not exactly cheap but they do last and the cutting edges are great. They glide through fabrics without any effort.

Maybe a few pairs for classes might do but make sure you make them identifiable and get them handed in before the class go home.
          Tutor in PMC Silver Clay in the West Midlands
          Facebook:
          https://www.facebook.com/MetalClayTutor
          http://www.artclayjewellery.co.uk

Comment

I have no specific suggestions but I would choose one of the more well known makes of dressmaking scissors.
            One very important thing is to make sure you never cut any paper with them, it will blunt even the best scissors. Always keep yours away from anyone in the family that would be tempted to use them for anything other than fabric.

Melanie

Comment

Pinking Shears would be a good idea if your cutting fabric as these wont leave a frayed edge. They cut with a zig zag and wont leave your fabric falling to bits at the edges. For good sharp scissors you could get Titanium Scissors. These are 3 times as hard as steel.
              What type of scissors are you after anyway ?
              Habbyworld Sewing Supplies Website

Habbyworld Facebook

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I might label them as only for use with material as it's easy to get mixed up. I run workshops at home so sometimes find my scissors are used for slicing pizza or chicken pieces!!!

Comment

Definately Fiskars! Used them professionally & they're by far the best. Have had mine approx 12 years & still going strong! I use a pair with blades of about 6" in length for material & a small pair with sharp points for cutting threads & snipping stitches when you've gone wrong! I find them easier to use them stitch pickers!

My kitchen scissors for pizza, bacon etc are from one of the supermarkets - not the cheapest value range which don't last long but the mid value range, sharp & long lasting but no good for fabrics!

Comment

Another vote for Fiskars, I got mine from a local DIY/hardware shop they were about £8 so well worth the money!
                    http://www.kirkstoneleathercraft.co.uk/

Comment

If you ask any quilter hereabouts then there is really only one scissor that will do.... search for "Gingher shears" on a well known auction site and you'll find plenty. Expect to pay the best part of 40.00 but they really are worth it! Good solid construction and yo can buy sharpening stones to keep them sharp....and when I say sharp I mean it...the steel quality is so good that you can achieve an edge that you can literally shave with! And yes I tried it!!

hope this helps

Ash
                      Asking me to make you a shelf is like asking Michealangelo to creosote your fence.

http://www.woodsweatandtrees.co.uk

Comment

Dressmaking Shears and wheels... I have the following:
                        * a pair from Singer that were my 18th birthday present from my mum... am now in my 50s!
                        * a pair from Libertys and a pinking pair from there too.
                        * A selection of Fiskars rotary cutters.

Now I know that this this goes against your thrifty nature but you really do get what you pay for with scissors and is actually a false economy to buy cheap. the next thing is only use them for fabric and not for anything else... it will blunt them quicker that you can say Jack Robinson!
                        Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X