Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to make a watertight acryllic/perspex box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to make a watertight acryllic/perspex box?

I am a student studying at univeristy, and my current project idea relies on being able to make a seethrough watertight box. I know from experience gluing acrylic is always a messy job; but if I wanted to make watertight box from it, I'm not sure if your standard 'glue gun glue' would achieve a watertight seal. So if anybody has experience in making watertight containers, knows how useful a glue gun would be or can suggest a better sealant I'd be very grateful.

Thankyou.

I did some years ago but forgot lol, so here's what I found and it's almost the same.

Vik

"Gluing acrylic
    How to glue acrylic and tips on gluing acrylic fish tanks. Always practice before gluing your tank together, edges must be smooth with no gaps. If you get leaks you can run an extra corner piece thats the thickness of your material. So with 1/4" acrylic sheet you will take 1/4" square acrylic rod and cut it to length and then glue it in place in the edge. This piece can be cut from your material or square rods can be bought from most plastic supply complanies.

Acrylic fish tank repair - to repair an acrylic aquarium you will need the same cement as building. You can use the square rod method as described above or cut a new piece to fit the corner that needs repair. Cut a square rod the thickness of your acrylic tank (approximately). Extend the piece beyond the crack/split acrylic at least an inch on each side of the leak. Press the piece in and cement it in place. Other than looks the extra piece should fix the leak.
    "

Oakdale Studios Facebook
    Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
    bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

Look at Goop Adhesives. I don't think a hot melt glue gun would be up to the job.
      http://www.eclecticproducts.com/epoxies.htm

This is a cement suitable for acrylic fish tanks but takes 24houirs to go off so would need supporting.
      http://www.mcmordiebros.co.uk/tensol_cement.htm

UV bonding would probably do the job as well but you would need to get that done professionally through a glass merchant.

Mo.XX
      Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
      Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
      www.bodrighy.co.uk
      https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

As above, I was going to say aquarium sealant would probably be your best bet... that's what it's designed for

Comment

Why not buy a fish tank? This will have been built to retain the water within the tank.

If you are going to work with acrylic then it would be best if you could mitre the corners as this will increase the surface area of the joint. Leave the plastic covering to both sides of the acrylic as this will stop glue sticking to surfaces you wish to remain glue free. You can use a ready made adhesive or weld the acrylic together by softening both parts of the joint using acetone (this method was how perspex was jointed).

You have not mentioned how big the tank must be. If it is going to contain move than 25 litres then I would suggest you use glass rather than acrylic as it is stronger and probably cheaper.

Roger

Comment

Working...
          X