Need craft workshop help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need craft workshop help!

I'm volunteering in a local elderly social group (not sure how else to describe it!) and I will be hosting craft workshops in which we'll be making greeting cards. I'm not sure whether to take scissors or anything like that (in case they're considered quite dangerous), and what limitations should I expect on what I can do? I'm taking card blanks, stickers which aren't too fiddly, foam shapes and glue pens. I don't want to patronise the group by taking things which seem quite childish, but I don't want to ignore any problems such as arthritis which may prevent some people doing tasks which others can do. Any help would be appreciated!

I teach crafts at Age UK and they are quite able to use scissors. I think it depends where you are doing it. If it is in a care home that would be different but if your people are living in their own homes then no problem.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

You need to take a look at Nancy's blog which is all about this and gives you some fab projects together with hints and tips for working with older citizens.
      Blog: http://rosmademe.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you very much for your speedy replies! I will certainly look at that blog. It's in a hall in a church, I'm really looking forward to it!

Comment

My grandma and her friends make loads of handmade cards each Christmas for friends and family. They are all in their 60s, 70s and 80s and they can still do all the crafty card making that people on here make. Take anything you use to make your cards so they get to try anything and you'll have the equipment to cover a whole range of ability levels.
          Stephen
          Website - Soy of the North
          Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
          Twitter - random thoughts
          Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

Elderly people are simply people.... with lots of experience...LOL I am sure that given the chance, they will let you know the types of things they would like to try out and the things they would like to make in the classes and they may surprise you and themselves with their creativity once you all get started. I am sure you will all have fun...

Comment

someone must be hosting the social group already, ask them what they think would be safe/acceptable.

Comment

I used to volunteer in a social group for the elderly, youngest was 72, and we used to do an activity each week. I think, as others have mentioned, most are capable with scissors. 'Fat' glue sticks (rather than runny glue) are helpful for those with arthritis as are lots of peel n stick items so they can quickly achieve something pretty while chatting. No fiddly glue spots, double sided squares were more manageable. Lots of tools, people got very engrossed in their work and didn't share out the scissors/tape/glue! IMO the key was to do something a 6-8 year old could do without the childish themes, lots of flowers, bows and ribbon will suit any age and not be patronising. I always assisted anyone who needed help cutting out and that way everyone got a chance to be involved in a variety of things.
                These were always very enjoyable afternoons for both those who attended and myself, I hope you have a great time too! HTH
                Terry xxx
                You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Thanks everyone! My first workshop was today and I took card blanks, lots of stickers, foam flowers, glue pens, crayons, chalks, colour pencils and lots of die cut sentiments and shapes. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and they all got stuck in and made something pretty! Thanks for all the advice everyone, I learnt that some of the stickers were quite hard to peel off so I won't take those again!

Comment

sounds like everyone had a good day. ;0;0
                    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Working...
                    X