Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please! How much does a 25g ball of Mohair wool cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please! How much does a 25g ball of Mohair wool cost?

I have been given 29 balls of mohair wool in light blue (because I make things). As lovely as this thought was I don't knit and know I won't use them so thought perhaps I could sell them and buy something I do use.
    They are 25g light blue (gorgeous colour) balls of Mohair by Wendy
    67% Mohair
    28% Wool
    5% Nylon polymide

They still have their paper info on them, unused but look quite old. Does the Shade colour matter in their value? Please excuse my ignorance

I hope my post does not break any rules I am not trying to tout them here, instead hoping someone can put an estimate on them for me? Thanks
    Terry xxx
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
    Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

50g ball on ebay but a shocking pink for £2.50 per ball or these other auctions may help more: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wendy-mohair-wool-5x-50-g-balls-purple-/270768798391
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wendy-mohair-w...11222562623144

Comment

If you join ******, there is an entire section devoted to people who want to buy, sell, swap or exchange yarns of different types.

To be frank, a mohair blend of the type you have, especially an old one, is not really worth anything unless someone is specifically looking for it. Older mohairs and mohair blends are nothing like the quality of mohair nowadays. They are much hairier and itchier that present-day fibres and spinning methods. I might pay a pound for half-a-dozen balls of mohair blend in a charity shop, if I particularly liked the colour.

Sorry!
      Last edited by indri; 23-07-2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by esseesee View Post
        If you join *******, there is an entire section devoted to people who want to buy, sell, swap or exchange yarns of different types.

To be frank, a mohair blend of the type you have, especially an old one, is not really worth anything unless someone is specifically looking for it. Older mohairs and mohair blends are nothing like the quality of mohair nowadays. They are much hairier and itchier that present-day fibres and spinning methods. I might pay a pound for half-a-dozen balls of mohair blend in a charity shop, if I particularly liked the colour.

Sorry!
        No need to apologise, thank you for your comments and explanation which make sense as I thought Mohair was soft and although it feels soft I think it might be itchy close to skin.
        Last edited by indri; 23-07-2013, 11:45 AM.
        Terry xxx
        You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
        Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Originally posted by Aviya Glass View Post
          I thought Mohair was soft and although it feels soft I think it might be itchy close to skin.
          You know a good way to test any fibre you are not sure whether you can wear next to your skin? Forst thing in the morning, wind off a few yards, twist them loosely together or crochet with a large hook or even your fingers to make a chain about the length of a necklace then pop it round your neck under your clothing and knot it letting the knot dangle into your cleavage. Put your clothes on and go about your day.

If you forget you've got the yarn round your neck, you've got a sure-fire winner. If you have to rip it off after less than five minutes, you might want to rethink your knitting plans. Anything in between will dictate what you make of the yarn in question and how you wear it.

Comment

Originally posted by esseesee View Post
            If you join *******, there is an entire section devoted to people who want to buy, sell, swap or exchange yarns of different types.

Sorry!
            Where on ******* do I find the section devoted to people who want to buy, sell, swap or exchange, having a massive clearout dont really want to put it all on ebay. Been looking for ages and have done a search but nothing comes up.

Tarina
            Last edited by indri; 23-07-2013, 11:46 AM.
            http://tarinaknits.blogspot.com

Comment

You need to put it in your stash first, then post in the appropriate groups.

Comment

Thank you never thought of that.
                http://tarinaknits.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X