Hallmarking help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallmarking help please

Hi all, I could really do with some help re hallmarking. I now have a stamp at the Birmingham assay office and am ready to send off some pieces but am really confused how to submit them.

Q1: If I have two pendants like this small hearts 450 x 300 px.jpg on one jump ring do I need to send them in separately and have them both hallmarked or do I send them in on the one jump ring and they will just hallmark one of them? Also, do I need to send in the necklace with it?

Q2: How do I pay??? I can find no info on their website or in the info they sent me about how to pay. Do they send me an invoice or do I send a cheque and try to work out how much it will cost? I find their charges info quite confusing too so am worried I will pay the wrong amount!

Arrrgh, it's all giving me a headache!

am sure it must be one of those things that seem terribly confusing at first but very easy after you have done it a couple of times. (I hope anyway!)
    Lyndsey

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Hi Lyndsey

Not been on here for a while so only just spotted your thread! If you're not taking your piece in to be hall marked in person but posting it, then don't be afraid to ring them 0871 871 6020. They're really helpful and should answer your questions.

I made some cufflinks and they only hall marked one side as they were joined with a chain. If the jump ring is soldered closed I would imagine only one half would need to be hallmarked... but they're the experts and don't worry that you're a new maker - just give them a call!

Good luck - I never fail to be excited getting a piece hall marked!
    Sally.x

Comment

hi Sally,

thanks for replying. I have been putting off calling them because I don't want to sound like a complete numpty on the phone! I will however pluck up the courage and give them a bell tomorrow. I can't wait to see my pieces stamped with my mark. Soooo exciting!
      Lyndsey

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Hi Lyndsey
        If you're only sending this one item in, then you might as well have both pieces hallmarked. With small packages the biggest charge is the minimum that's charged for opening the parcel. Another few pence for getting both bits hallmarked is neither here nor there. It also means that the pendants could also be split at a later date.
        Last edited by Beadifferent Designs; 21-04-2011, 05:13 PM.
        Jill
        Jewellery by Jill

Comment

Working...
        X