X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLUE GUN??? What glue to use, please help

Hi,

would like some advise please.....

I am starting to make and sell hair accessories for girls, from newborn to toddlers to adults.
    I have been making hairclips, bobbles, elastics and hairties putting embellishments onto the clips, bobbles and some headbands, BUT, I have had a few mishaps with the embellishments not staying stuck onto the clips.
    As a bit of a novice with glue guns, I am using a 10 watt gun, would a larger gun, I've found an 80watt one, be better and being hotter, would this make the glue stronger.

Does anyone have any ideas on what glue to use for these please.
    Obviously I want my items to be 100% safe as they are being worn by little ones. Plus I only want to sell something I would be happy with myself.
    Most embellishments are fine with the glue gun, I just need some ideas on other glues to use.
    Thanks in advance

Whatever gun you have you need to leave it until the glue is literally dripping out of the end before applying it. I use them for holding odd shaped bits of wood on the lathe sometimes and it is fine as long as it is really hot.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

Thanks, yeah, I do leave it on for ages before I use it, but some of the embellishments just peel off once they are stuck on. really easy to peel off, while others are stuck fast.

Comment

Check if they are really smooth and if so give a little wipe with some abrasive before applying the glue. I am not sure whether the more expensive guns actually heat the glue more than the cheap ones, it may give a temperature on the box, worth having a look as the hotter the glue the better the adhesion.

pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
          Check if they are really smooth and if so give a little wipe with some abrasive before applying the glue.
          This is good advice. You can also try wiping the surface with a de-greasing product to clean any film off the surface that may stop the glue from sticking
          Julie & Mick

Portraits in pastels by Julie http://www.juliepilcher.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X