Looking for driftwood!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for driftwood!

OK so I am looking for driftwood, I know the obvious thing to do is go to the beach to find it... but failing that does anyone know where I can get some small pieces for mobiles and hangings? I came across someone who makes driftwood beads that are rather nice but thats about it. Maybe somebody has a bag of bits they can't use? Another thing I was thinking of is those cork rings that get used for floats. Any suggestions?
    Blog: www.covegardennursery.co.uk/garden-nursery-blog/
    Facebook: Cove Garden Nursery

If you have any woods near you go fro a walk and keep your eyes open for roots and things like fallen branches that have started rotting down. Sometimes you can find some really interesting shapes, usually buried under the leaves so go for a walk and kick around LOL.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

Thanks Pete I've loads of wood here!! But am worried if it isn't seasoned or too wet I might not be able to use it straight away. Could I just collect it and then let it dry out for a couple of weeks and then try? I'd like to have that bleached effect that sea and sand gives...

Comment

You can get that bleached effect using.......bleach LOL. Also the soft, slightly furry effect that driftwood has can be created using a wire brush (use goggles and a mask though) ideally in a drill as it is faster. I suppose it depends on what you are going to use it for. Different woods dry at at different rates and if you are using old roots etc that have been own dor a good while then you should be OK. Freshly felled or brokene wood can take years to dry.

Pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

There are people on ebay selling boxes of it.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

BLEACH!!! LOL I never would have thought of that...seriously I wouldn't! And I could probably find an attachment for my new Dremel that will wear it down!! Might have a quick look on Ebay out of curiosity though too...people will sell anything on there won't they!

Comment

BLEACH!!! LOL I never would have thought of that...seriously I wouldn't! And I could probably find an attachment for my new Dremel that will wear it down!! Might have a quick look on Ebay out of curiosity though too...people will sell anything on there won't they!
              Only because people will buy it!
              Pat Murphy

http://www.gladturnings.co.uk
              https://www.facebook.com/GladTurnings.Woodturning

Comment

Too true Pat, had a look and was amazed how much people want for a pile of sticks!! Going to try Petes idea and save my money!

Comment

Have you tried Tropical fish shops they sell it for aquarium decoration. Not sure what the cost is though.
                  Julie & Mick

Portraits in pastels by Julie http://www.juliepilcher.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X