Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Ruined my iron with bondaweb!

Hi there,

I was ironing a project and didn't realise the material I was using had remnants of bondaweb on it!

It's a real mess and I've tried everything...

vinegar
    bicarbonate of soda and baking power
    white spirit
    and a special iron cleaning stick from Robert Dyas

Any suggestions before I give in and buy a new one?

Thanks,
    Lucy Elizabeth

PS: the really anoying thing is that I have an old iron for projects of this nature but of course I thought I was just ironing plain cotton, arrghhhhh!

I have a stick that cleans irons, available from most haberdashery departments, brilliant a bit smelly but wipe over the iron plate when hot, wipe off with a clean cloth. Found this link on ebay, would not be without mine

Comment

Can it be chipped off?

I ruined my mums iron the other month on a craft project, the guilt was so much I had to buy her a new one.
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Oh dear, I have that 'ruined the iron' t-shirt too.

My suggestion would have been to buy a cheap one from Tesco for craft use (thats what I do) but see you already did that with a spare. Wish I knew the answer as mine is a bit ucky too now, and I keep trying to clean it. think I better go look at Caroline's ebay link, thank you.

Lynda
        Bags Of swank
        Bags Of Swank Blog
        My Etsy store
        Crafts For Charity

Comment

hmm, I've had loads of bondaweb stuff, and sticky interfacing gunk on my iron, and whilst the ion was on, I used a scrubby washing sponge (wet) and sponged it off. Worked fine!
          my folksy
          Kryshees Blog
          www.kryshees.com

Comment

Working...
          X