online store problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• online store problems

Can anyone help. I've set up an online craft store with hosts oneandone but i am finding their after sales service leaves a lot to be desired. i have 3 questions,
    1.has anyone had any problems with this company.
    2. has anyone designed their own shop and is it managable to do
    3. what is everyones favourite company for hosting eshops

I am trying to decide whether or not to change my host or build my own store and would value everyones opinions and comments.
    thanks
    best wishes Pauline Thorn
    www.crafty-bits.com
    Craft products for all you crafty people

I use 1and1 for hosting and have only had problems getting hold of them... 99% of problems with hosting have nothing to do with the host's but do to hackers or just not backing up your data ...

Anyway a good 'opensource' shopping cart is www.oscommerce.com which is free and has pretty good support due to this fact...

Works on oneandone no problem...

Hope this helps...

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

thanks for that info will certainly look into using that shopping cart.
      www.crafty-bits.com

Comment

Hi there Pauline,
        Just wanted to wish you luck with your store, I am about to have a look myself. Like you, I am in the process of getting my online site up and running, and want to implement a shopping cart in the future. There are a lot of packages about software wise, for many different prices. I wondered if you may have any suggestions or are able to recommend a good shopping cart software package that isnt expensive or complicated?
        free printables,templates,kids activities,tutorials with photo\'s at www.thecraftyminx.com

Comment

hi
          to be honest the shop we got from oneand one is very easy to use and looks ok. my problem is that that didnt really explain that it is only a shop and nothing else, we wanted to add more pages to it and links etc but we pay £20 a month just for this shop. we are now in the process of setting up a website with a link to the shop and just redirecting the domain name of www.crafty-bits.com. that way we will be able to add in links and other pages of interesting stuff. oneandone was recommended to me by the IT guys i work with so it must be ok i guess. they do however have a problem with answering emails to them. i've tried about 6 times and none are ever answered.
          www.crafty-bits.com

Comment

www.wooch.co.uk was build using OScommerce however a web designer helped give it that professional element - i suggest seeking outside help sometimes people are willing to talk you through the best things without charging
            www.wooch.co.uk

Comment

Sorry about your shop troubles Pauline, have not used one and one but had a couple of friends who did and they gave up in the end. Hope you get it sorted soon as so annoying

Comment

I use weebly to host my site, but didn't like their shop buttons (too limiting for me) so I create buttons in paypal and import the code to my shop (sound complex but isn't really). So really paypal 'runs' my shop.

Edit: Is nice other places do shop functions too, I may have to check them out.
                Lucy Blossom
                Shop and blog: http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
                https://www.facebook.com/LucyBlossomCrafts

Comment

I have a similar issue to you Pauline, I've setup my own website so I can put my own pages on using Dreamweaver, then have a link to my Big Cartel shop (which costs about £13 per month but I'm really pleased with how it looks and it's setup to work with tablets and mobiles aswell). Also with Big Cartel you can put extra pages on, so far I've just added links back to the pages on my own site, but it looks like you could add the code to make it how you want. So much to learn!

Cant say I've had any dealings with 1 and 1, sounds frustrating when they don't reply. My host is JustHost and they always respond to queries (so far).
                  Happywrap - Reusable Fabric Gift Wrap

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/happywrap

Comment

Originally posted by 0103media View Post
                    Anyway a good 'opensource' shopping cart is www.oscommerce.com which is free and has pretty good support due to this fact...
                    That looks really interesting. I've looked briefly at Zencart but not oscommerce. I struggle to get my head around having the whole website setup using a web based system, I know it's probably nonsense but for some reason it just feels more secure having the website saved on Dreamweaver on my computer.
                    Happywrap - Reusable Fabric Gift Wrap

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/happywrap

Comment

This thread is eight years old.

Things have moved on a little since then...
                      george
                      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                      www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Working...
                      X