Help with making cake toppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with making cake toppers

hya id thought id try on this thread,im hoping to try start making cake toppers[the ones with wires and wanted some advice on whats involved and where s the best place i can buy the materiels.Im a cake dercorator and usualyy have to buy them when asked for.I fancy trying tomake them my self any help would be great.thanks.

Were you planning on making sugar flowers or modelling sugarpaste / pastillage into animals and characters?
    Carol
    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

Hya i was planning on making fondant caketoppers and also ones using feathers and beaded ones do you have any ideas for me ?thanks

Comment

There is a member on this forum called paulines wedding treasures,she makes some fab cake toppers and can probably offer some invaluable advice.
        Good luck
        My Blog
        Twitter
        Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Emmalou View Post
          There is a member on this forum called paulines wedding treasures,she makes some fab cake toppers and can probably offer some invaluable advice.
          Good luck
          Doesn't she use polymer clay for her toppers?
          Carol
          Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube

Comment

Originally posted by maisymay View Post
            Hya i was planning on making fondant caketoppers and also ones using feathers and beaded ones do you have any ideas for me ?thanks
            My speciality is sugar flowers as I'm not very good at modelling. Fondant icing is not a good medium for cake toppers as it's too sticky. It's possible that by fondant icing, you may have meant sugarpaste? Sugarpaste (also known as ready to roll icing or Regalice) is fine for basic and relatively small models. It's not particularly strong when dry so not suitable for large or delicate models.

There are lots of different sugar modelling paste recipes. Some, like 'flower paste' enable you to achieve thinner than paper flower petals. There is 'pastillage' which is a modelling paste enabling you do achieve great detail and it dries rock hard making it ideal for cake toppers - as long as nobody is expecting to eat them!

Have you thought about purchasing some good cake decorating books? I recommend books by Nicholas Lodge for sugarpaste / pastillage cake toppers. There's a series of books called, "The International School of Sugarcraft" of which I have the first and second books of the series. They cover all sorts of sugarcraft techniques and include recipes so you can make your own modelling pastes. I also have a pastillage book by the same author and it's brilliant.

If you were planning on making sugar flowers, I suggest that you enrol in a class to learn the basics. Some colleges or speci-alist sugarcraft suppliers / cake shops, run evening classes on sugarcraft.

Sorry, I can't help with the feathers and beaded toppers, other than you'll need to ensure that they are either food safe, or don't actually touch the cake. I have threaded beads onto wire and then added loops of beads to my sugarflower sprays.

Good luck with your new craft.
            Carol

Comment

Thanks for your replies you have given me lots of ideas and i will look for the books you have mentioned.

Comment

Working...
              X