Copyrighted ribbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyrighted ribbon

I have found some amazing woven ribbons on a foreign website, all designed by different people. The website is in english and says that the ribbon is copyrighted, not by them but by the designers. Does this mean I can't use it to adorn my bag designs if I am intending to sell them? Anybody know? I don't really want to contact each and every designer individually to ask as it would take me forever and I'm hazarding a guess that we might have language problems.
    www.belovedly.co.uk
    www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

I would have thought that the design on the ribbon is copyrighted, I think to say you cannot use the ribbon within your own design would be near impossible, as surely this would mean they then have control over your designs which legally they cannot.

What does the copyright bit actually say, if it mentions that you cannot use on items to sell then no you cannot use on your designs, if however it states that the design is copyrighted, then I would have said you are okay.

Comment

Is there any mention of an angel policy on the website? That should detail where you can and cannot sell products made with the ribbon. If not, email the website and ask if they have an angel policy covering the products.
      Jo

Independent Stampin' Up! Demo in Nuneaton, Warwickshire

Visit my Blog, & My Gallery (on this site)

Comment

Isn't the copyright to ensure you don't reproduce the ribbon yourself, which you don't intend to do? Surely a manufactor would expect you to use a ribbon to decorate something or your hair, that is the point of ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by SterlingWeave View Post
          Isn't the copyright to ensure you don't reproduce the ribbon yourself, which you don't intend to do? Surely a manufactor would expect you to use a ribbon to decorate something or your hair, that is the point of ribbon.
          I agree completely. Assemblage has a long history of incorporating objects, and as I understand it, it is recognized and accepted. I think as long as you don't take credit for making the ribbon itself, you are fine. As the ribbon is incorporated into your work, it is no longer just a ribbon, but has become a part of something larger.
          all the best

Comment

Working...
          X