No announcement yet.

Cutting felt and other fabrics. Sizzix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting felt and other fabrics. Sizzix?

I'm thinking about getting a sizzix big shot but don't know if it will do what I want it to.
    I'm wanting to cut felt and other thinner fabrics such as cotton, poly cotton, linen, very thin needlecord and so on and perhaps even thin soft leather.
    I don't really want to cut by hand, will the sizzix big shot manage all or even some of these fabrics? Is there anything else better.

If something along these lines would be suitable I don't really have the budget to buy new so will have to hunt on ebay, is there anything that goes wrong with these machines or do they just last and last?

What (other than the fabric type) decides the quality of cut? The cutters or the machine?

Thanks for any help you are able to give.
    www.belovedly.co.uk
    www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

I have been cutting some fabrics with the big shot this week! Its the dies that have limitations not the machine.

If you have the thin dies, they can cut felt (you'll need a shim for a clean cut) and paper/cardstock, but nothing thicker.

If you have the thick dies you can cut just about anything! I bought some fat sixteenths from ebay, I folded them and cut through 2 patterns, 8 layers, in one pass! (now if i can get my sewing machine on the go, i have the rest of the project ready!!)

Thin leather should be ok, just try a piece and if you experience too much resistence stop and reverse it, the rest of the fabrics will cut just fine!

If you want to send a piece of leather to me i can cut something and send it back for you to have a look.

The machines do have some limitations, but you are limited more by the type of die you choose. And i have heard of some machines that seem to explode inside but i have used and abused mine, it is still going strong!
    Jo

Independent Stampin' Up! Demo in Nuneaton, Warwickshire

Visit my Blog, & My Gallery (on this site)

Comment

Loads of info there thanks, so am I right in thinking the thicker dies will cut any fabric more or less including felt? Also what is a shim?
      Thanks
      www.belovedly.co.uk
      www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

sorry, been out all day!

A shim is something you put between the die and the cutting plate on the non-cutting side, it sometimes only needs a piece of copy paper, other times, it can benefit from something thicker!
        Jo

Independent Stampin' Up! Demo in Nuneaton, Warwickshire

Visit my Blog, & My Gallery (on this site)

Comment

aha thanks, thats great!
          www.belovedly.co.uk
          www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Working...
          X