X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Cameras

What do you all use?
    I've lost the thread about this
    I'm going to bite the bullet and buy my own as i am now 'bonding' with Mr Site.
    Really, what is the difference between one for about 100.00 and one for 800.00?
    Do you get the software with the camera for resizing the photos as this is what i really want?
    While we are on the subject what is it with Batteries in digital cameras? Everytime i borrow one i need to take a pocket full of batteries with me as the camera seems to use them soo quickly????
    The other thing is the time delay when you press the button - i never seem to get the picture i think i'm taking. (i know this won't be a problem with my jewellery but would be nice to know anyway!)
    I press the button- i expect the picture to take - but what seems to happen is i press the button, the camera waits for someone to walk in front/ the subject moves/etc and i end up with a crap photo.
    Dosn't help when you've got hubbie standing next to you whittering on about 'never would have happened with my 35mm camera'!!
    So tell me what to buy to make me happy pleeeeeease?
    http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Sony...

...I buy a lot of Sony stuff.

Mine was about £600 four years ago. It's got shedloads of functions that I've probably never used. One day I might even read the instruction book. The best feature is the macro, which allows me to take detailed close ups of stitching etc.

It's a Sony DSC-P10, with 5 million megapixels or whatever they are.

Jules
    Apple Tree Crafts
    www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

I've got a Praktica DCZ 4.4 digital camera. I've had a Pentax 35mm for years and never used it, this little digital camera is brilliant. Good sized window at the back, optical & digital zoom, optical is always better.

I might leave home with my credit cards at times, but never my camera! I keep spare batteries in my handbag, as long as you use the correct powerful ones, they last quite a while.

Can't remember the exact price, but it was well under £100 otherwise I wouldn't have bought it!

This is the project we bought it for originally so you can see it takes pictures ok.

Lincoln Pix

There was software with the camera, but I use PaintShop Pro 7, I don't like having to learn to use new programs.

Shana
      Twilight Sewn - A new dimension in craftwork

Comment

Originally posted by icecreamgirl View Post
        What do you all use?
        I've lost the thread about this
        I'm going to bite the bullet and buy my own as i am now 'bonding' with Mr Site.
        Really, what is the difference between one for about 100.00 and one for 800.00?
        Do you get the software with the camera for resizing the photos as this is what i really want?
        While we are on the subject what is it with Batteries in digital cameras? Everytime i borrow one i need to take a pocket full of batteries with me as the camera seems to use them soo quickly????
        The other thing is the time delay when you press the button - i never seem to get the picture i think i'm taking. (i know this won't be a problem with my jewellery but would be nice to know anyway!)
        I press the button- i expect the picture to take - but what seems to happen is i press the button, the camera waits for someone to walk in front/ the subject moves/etc and i end up with a crap photo.
        Dosn't help when you've got hubbie standing next to you whittering on about 'never would have happened with my 35mm camera'!!
        So tell me what to buy to make me happy pleeeeeease?
        1. You can get a good digital camera for about £200. Samsung Digimax V800 does me proud. (That had a rechargable battery), if your using it indoors then you can get an adapter for it to save keep charging every day. Also Has many settings for taking different photos. As for photo editing i use windows PAINT and PHOTOIMPACT for all my editing needs. As for hubby, if he thinks he`s so good, get him to help you with it instead of critising you.

Comment

Me and my fiancee are photographers and we use Nikon DSLR'S for our main work and little Fuji's for carrying around.
          The Nikon's, complete with various lenses, cost well over a £1000 each but the Fuji's can be bought for as little as £100.
          For your purposes you really need something that will do close-up and macro work.
          To save money a small Fuji will be fine for your needs. Take a look at Cameraworld or Fotosense. Both places have excellent deals for all types of cameras.
          To answer a few of your questions:-
          The time taken between pressing the button and the photo being taken is called shutter lag. Some cheap cameras have bad shutter lag but Fuji's in gerneral, and possible some other makes, are fine and shouldn't cause too many problems.
          The best software for re-sizing is possibly Photoshop Elements. It can be bought for around £50.
          We use Apple Mac computers and there are a few good programmes around for that but I'm not sure about Windows as I haven't used that for some time.
          As far as batteries are concerned look for something with a lithium ion battery. They keep going for quite a while. Our Fuji's and Nikon's can take up to 900 photos before they need re-charging. Much better that AA batteries that will take maybe 25 or 30 shots and then die.
          If you have any further queries then feel free to contact me.

Comment

Thank you Sportsman - your reply has helped me. I have a little Pentax and it suffers from bad shutter lag and takes AA batteries. I sound like a worn out old record, because I keep saying to my husband that the batteries should last a lot longer than 15-20 photos.

This camera has been driving me mad for the last year. At least now I know.

Many thanks

Annette
            Annette

Comment

Thankyou to all for your advice!!
              I finally got round to buying one yesterday, i settled on an Olympus 700 mju.
              It should have been 199. but it was on offer for 167. in argos. Also got the extra memory card but that's on order get it Thurs.
              The reason i went for Olympus in the end was we've had them in 35mm in the past and have always liked them.
              My friend got a Sony which went wrong and the customer service he recieved was terrible so i will stay away from them i think!!
              So anyway i think i will be playing with that later when i get back from work....will let you all know how it goes!!!
              http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good luck with it, im sure you'll get to grips with it in no time (saying tat i still don't know what all the buttons are!) I think they can all be much of a muchness so you have made a perfect choice i'm sure!
                eat, sleep, breathe, STITCH!
                www.buttonberry.com
                www.buttonberry.co.uk

Blog-tastic
                buttonberry.typepad.com

Comment

HI

I use a FujiFIlm S5600, and for the price range it is one of the best (if not the best) camera on the market.

I had a Fujifilm A201 for the last 5 years and that really is cheap to get hold of nowadays, but again a good little camera, just doesn't have all the bells and whistles were accustomed to now

Comment

The best kind of batteries to use for digi camera's is the rechargable ones that have the number 2000mAH or over on them, the higher the number the longer they'll last. I've got 2500 ones and they last for ages, these can be found on Ebay really cheaply.
                    http://manicmosaics.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I use a Canon PowerShot s45 - its about 5 years old, and been dropped and repaired, but the main thing is that I know how to use it.

The general rule with cameras is that the more you spend, the more you get. My partner has a digital slr, but I can't get on with it. It cost home about £1,500 for the body, and each lens has cost a couple of hundred each, then there are the filters...I could go on.

Have you got a camera shop near you? If so, go there, have a feel of the cameras, look at sample pictures, and pick their brains

There are certain functions you want - macro (good for taking close ups), being able to adjust the white balance (good for indoor shots) - but basically get a camera you can afford that you feel happy using.

Oh, and get a tripod - they make a world of difference.
                      Melanie

"When I talk about belief, why do you always assume I'm talking about God?" Serenity

http://www.myspace.com/kandmcreations
                      http://www.kandmbeadshop.co.uk/ | http://www.kandmcreations.co.uk/
                      http://kandmcom.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                      X