Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is making an engagement ring a rather ludicrous task?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is making an engagement ring a rather ludicrous task?

Hello all -

I (male!) am intending proposing to my other half. Now, you might think that this was a fairly simple business, but I'm not so sure it is - in order to propose I need to procure an engagement ring from somewhere. I believe what people generally do is just head out and buy one - the problem with this is that she is comparatively good with art/design and things, and I have almost zero aesthetic skills (I am of course devastatingly handsome, to make up for this). I'd almost definitely buy something that she regarded as quite foul, and therefore would represent rather a large amount of money wasted (my subtle questions as to what she thought of Elizabeth Duke didn't go so well).

So I hatched a new plan. I'm going to _make_ an engagement ring, and present it at the critical moment accompanied by an IOU for the money I would otherwise have wasted, and she can buy her own one. As far as working out how to make one goes, I recalled that she actually has a couple of jewellery making books, though she's not made an attempt at anything, so I sneaked a couple into work to read. Well, blimey... not only does it look like a lot of practice in order to get anything presentable, I also appear to need more heavy equipment than the average truck mechanic and run the risk of setting the house on fire, or at the very least putting a sizeable hole in the carpet (which I think might tend her unpleasantly towards a "no" decision). I decided that perhaps a better plan was to go on a one or two-day course, but there really aren't all that many of them, and the most convenient looking one (at City Lit) is full. I've signed up for a one-day course at SCOLA next month, but it's looking rather like it's not going to run due to having too few participants. As if to complicate matters, I believe engagement rings are the ones with stones in them, which is no doubt going to make things even more difficult. So...

Can anyone help? Any suggestions welcome - if it's actually a lot easier than I'm imagining, I'm open to tips. Also I'd be happy to pay and travel if anyone can help me a bit - I'm hoping this is the sort of thing I could rustle up in a day or so, with a bit of expert help. The end result doesn't really have to be glorious - it just has to have been made (at least in spirit) by me, and look like an engagement ring, so she doesn't think I'm on bended knee offering her a squashed bluebottle.

Sorry for appearing here out of the blue, but I'm getting a bit stuck!

/TwoThumbs

Well I haven't made many rings but it's easy (so she says!) !!! especially if all you want to for instance is a band and nothing fancy. I am not very good and I am actually going on a 2 day course shortly myself, but I have made a 'band' ring. Shame you're in London!!!!! It's a bit far! I am in Preston. Look on ebay for people selling handmade jewellery and living close to you. You can do a search by location. Then you may find someone near you who can help you design something!

I think your idea is great and your girl is going to adore you for it! Make sure you include some swarovsky cristals on the ring.

Good luck!

Bea
    Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Bea
      Well I haven't made many rings but it's easy (so she says!) !!! especially if all you want to for instance is a band and nothing fancy. I am not very good and I am actually going on a 2 day course shortly myself, but I have made a 'band' ring. Shame you're in London!!!!! It's a bit far! I am in Preston. Look on ebay for people selling handmade jewellery and living close to you. You can do a search by location. Then you may find someone near you who can help you design something!

I think your idea is great and your girl is going to adore you for it! Make sure you include some swarovsky cristals on the ring.

Good luck!

Bea
      Good plan re. the ebay idea actually - hadn't thought of that! I did search for courses but I really had a lot more trouble than I expected finding any. They all seemed to be miles away in the future, or full, or not running at all.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

we did a ring making course at yarm school, in about 6h of work we had a silver band as good as a shop so with a little more practice i dont see why you couldnt make your own engagement ring.
        uksewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by uksewing View Post
          we did a ring making course at yarm school, in about 6h of work we had a silver band as good as a shop so with a little more practice i dont see why you couldnt make your own engagement ring.
          If they haven't worked it out yet after this conversation which took place back in 2005, I'm sure they would have given up.

Please look at the dates of the threads you are posting on!

Si.
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

Working...
          X