Fimo Cracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fimo Cracking

Hi All, I have been trying a bit of sculpting using Fimo Classic and I am having a little problem with it having hairline cracks in it after baking, does anyone have any ideas. I have conditioned it well through the pasta machine and in my hands but allway seem to end up with cracks. Sometimes a few and sometimes loads.
    Last edited by jumiclads; 14-08-2009, 07:56 PM.
    Julie & Mick

Portraits in pastels by Julie http://www.juliepilcher.co.uk

I have found the new formulation Fimo is a little prone to cracking if it is baked too high.

The new recommended temp is 110 degrees and I think it has been changed for a reason.

Certainly in my own experiments, that was the highest I could go baking solid balls, beads etc without cracking occuring. (flat sheets could be baked higher)

I know many other people say they are able to still bake Fimo at 130 degrees without any issues. All I can say is, I wish I could too, but it hasn't worked out that way for me. If I go anything over 110 degrees, I get hairline cracking all over the shop. Stay at 110 and no issues.

And believe me I did some pretty extensive tests on it all, being that I both sell Fimo, make my art beads from it and write about it too. I spent a week of studio time just trying out different ovens, different baking temps, times, methods - you name it.

I would advise baking peices in an oven that does not spike in temperature too much (I use my kitchen fan oven , simply because I have never found any small oven that doesn't spike wildly and I cannot afford duffed up beads from a gone-wrong baking)

Also just double check the temp of your oven is stable with an oven thermometer.

Even an oven you have been using for years could have just stopped being so accurate and you may be over-heating the clay without knowing it. The older formulations were not so heat-fussy and it wouldn't matter so much. But with Fimo now, there is less margin for error I think when it comes to the baking temp. I think quite a few very experienced clayers are hitting this blip when the clay suddently doesnt behave as it once did. But it just seems to take a little bit of adjustment in working methods. I way prefer the new formulation now for many reasons, but had a hard time getting used to this fussy baking temp!

I have also found the newer formulation doesnt need to be baked as long either.

Hope that helps.
    Emma
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Thanks Emma for the reply and all the advice. I will certainly give this a try and let you know how I get on.
      Julie & Mick

Portraits in pastels by Julie http://www.juliepilcher.co.uk

Comment

You're very welcome!

Emma
        Emma
        www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
        www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
        www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Working...
        X