Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Children's bags - advice, trading standards!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children's bags - advice, trading standards!?

Help! Just begun sewing items in 100% cotton; makeup bags, sewing needle cases, aprons etc and intend selling at local fairs, nothing big just hope to get enough back to make more. I've made the simplest of children's shopping bags using only the cotton, some cotton webbing and some 2oz wadding. There are no sharp bits, no detachable parts or added decoration etc but suddenly realised that I make me cooking up a storm by not getting them tested by Trading Standards. Can I sell these at a fair without going down this route? Please, can anyone give me advice. I had thought to just put them on my stall as party bags or gift bags; would this get around the problem of selling them as toys?

Please, if anyone has any prior knowledge or has gone down this route I'd appreciate your comments.

It's my first time on the forum so be kind to me!!

Kind regards, davey5254

Hi,

Not too sure but you could try the trading standards website, they have a lot of guidance leaflets and may be able to point you in the right direction.

www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/index.cfm

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Lisa
    Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, been onto Trading Standards; they suggest sending in one of my bags so that they can take a look at it.

Been onto Ebay and seen very similar but they're marketed as shoe/gift/beach bags. I wonder what difference it makes as a child will still play with it as a toy.

Will keep my news posted as it may help others in a similar position.

Liz

Comment

Hi Liz,

Hope it all goes well. Kids will use bags for anything so why don't they just say a bag I think they get the idea and it's up to them if they want to put shoes, gifts beach towels or the dogs dinner into them.

All the best.

Lisa
        Bowed Over
        Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I had a similar dilemma when I started making, what could loosely be described as, toys. Though I never intended making them for kids, but grown-up adults who should know better!

I asked around regarding Trading Standards etc., and one suggestion I was given was to add a disclaimer along the lines of:

This is a collectable not a toy, it is not suitable for children due to fabric and small parts which may cause a choking hazard.
          Shana
          Twilight Sewn - A new dimension in craftwork

Comment

I Think You're Ok....

If there isn't anything that can possibly be detached. I should ensure that the handles aren't long enough for a child to put it's head through though.

Other than that, and a label warning to keep away from fire (fabric catches alight very easily, esp cotton) you should be ok. You could also say not suitable for children under 36 months or that the bags should be used under adult supervision.

Jules
            Apple Tree Crafts
            www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

More News re Trading Standards!

Many thanks to all that have given advice. I've also made some bags that weren't originally intended for children but have gone down the Trading Standards route to be safe. Basically - and much of it is common sense really - nothing detachable, nothing loose, nothing sharp etc, but for bags the biggy is that the handles shouldn't be anything longer than 380mm so that little heads can't get caught in them. I submitted a bag for them to look at, plus samples of materials, strapping, filling, trimmings, etc and no problem - just watch anything with sequins that may be big enough or sharp enough to do any sort of damage. Padded handles would be a further consideration but not essential.

Regarding draw string pump bags - NO, DON'T MAKE THEM! The only recommendation that was made was to use material that "wouldn't appeal to children" so that you could make this type of bag for only for adults. Risk of strangulation you see.

Pencil cases - no problem at all but watch the decoration. Night dress cases - fine for similar reasons.

After all this, and I must admit the lady from Trading Standards was very helpful, I can self certificate and put the CE mark on the kids bags.

My main advice is to speak to Trading Standards if you're in any doubts, they were very nice.

Makes you wonder if it's all worth it to sell just a few small bags made from offcuts ...!

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, did it cost anything for the advice from Trading Standards, and is it going to cost anything for self-certification?

This is very useful advice, I might be tempted to unleash some of my creations on unsuspecting kids!

Shana
                Twilight Sewn - A new dimension in craftwork

Comment

Working...
                X