Hope someone can help. LED lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope someone can help. LED lights.

Hi. I'm looking for a supply of flashing LED lights, the type of things you get on a cheap fridge magnet and such like. It needs to be reasonable small.

I intend removing the LED and battery so the actual mount is immaterial. Thanks for any help you can put my way.
    Last edited by TePe; 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM.
    regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Hi.
    Have you tried places like CPC Farnell or RS components, possibly even Maplins. All available on line.

Di.

Comment

Thanks for that Di. Most that I find there are 3 x battery ones. Was hoping I could find a single battery operated light. I have found what they call 'Balloon LED's' which are just right, but again 3 batteries.

I may have to end up using them though. Thanks again for your help.
      regards

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

I'm sure that a single LED should light up from a button cell... in fact, I'd expect to be abel to power several! Check the LED's power requirements, and you should be able to find batteries to suit. If you go & ask the staff in Maplin's (expensive, but they're right there on the high street) they should be able to help you...
        Cheers,
        Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
        Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Many thanks Scorch. Will go and have a chat with them, I have a store just along the road from me. My main worry is weight, this is why I am looking at a single battery.

Would have thought there was a area of supply for card makers. I have seen cards with a LED in them, all be it a while ago. The balloon lights I found are ideal, (just 3 batteries) and are reusable, so think I may go that route. I will check out Maplins before I go ahead though.

Thanks again.
          regards

Comment

You should be able to use a tiny, tiny button-cell battery... especially if you don't need it to last for years & years!
            Cheers,
            Scorch

Comment

How about the cheap fridge magnets and remove the battery and relevant electronics. I goggled flashing Santas' and it came up with many novelty gift suppliers

Di.

Comment

Thanks again for all your help/suggestions.

The only thing I have come up with up to this time is 'balloon lights'. Will just have to do my work a LOT thinner to compensate for the extra batteries.

The light is to place inside a Xmas decoration, and as most of these lights only last a couple of days at most I guess I must make them so the batteries can be replaced. Personally I don't like the idea, I prefer the idea of a static tree decoration, but needs must when asked to make them with a light.

That's me, I'm now off to pack a bag and get off down to Loughborough University tomorrow for a intensive weekend of woodturning demonstrations.
                regards

Comment

A flashing LED is from 60p to £1.50 :
                  http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...0led&source=15

I looked at the 60p 3mm ones - They'll take any voltage between 3.5V and 14V. Most button cells are 1.5v, so you'd need 3 or 4, but they can be the tiny ones. Ordinary, non-flashing LED's will run off much less... ot's the IC that does the flashing that takes the voltage.

I'd buy a card of cheap button cells from a pound shop, and a 60p flashing LED, and give it a try. Any metal will make the connection, as it's all so low-power - copper wire or whatever, clipped or taped or stuck...
                  Cheers,
                  Scorch

Comment

Working...
                  X