Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Stamping

Hi all,

As you all know, I love cardmaking and love trying new ideas!!

I've recently just signed up to a "Stampers 6" club with one of our lovely forum members but I haven't done any stamping before so I've got a few questions.

I've been looking through the Stampi' Up! catalogue and there are sooooo many stamps and things that I like the look of but to be honest I don't really know where to start, which brings me to why I need help.

1, Are there any 'stamping essentials' that I need to buy to make a success of this?

2. Would I be better starting with just a black inkpad and colouring my images, or having a selection of coloured inkpads?

3. Are there any stamp ranges or images that you would recommend for a beginner?

Also, any other information or tips you think I may benefit from would be greatly received... I'm also looking at trying heat embossing but need to master stamping first!!

Thanks,

Laura xxx

At the risk of this turning into a sales pitch, i will keep it brief, and speak to your stampin' up! demo about the following products . . .

Basic Black & Basic Gray ink
    Stampin' Spots
    Watercolour brushes
    Confetti White Cardstock
    Mixed pack of colour cardstock to co-ordinate with the spots
    paper snips (the most amazing scissors!)
    Depending on the type of stamps you like;

blooming with beauty
    summer by the sea
    for father
    crazy for cupcakes
    cheers to you
    loads of love

Make the most of being in the club, your demonstrator will be happy to help you out, maybe even send you one of the stampin techniques booklets from stampin' up!

As a side note, who is the demo on the boards? I may already know her!
    Jo

Independent Stampin' Up! Demo in Nuneaton, Warwickshire

Visit my Blog, & My Gallery (on this site)

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The demonstrator who I'm dealing with is Jan Jackmanaka Autumn Faerie

I've gone through the catalogue and am really interested in the following stamps, etc:

Silent Night
      Time for a tree (rolling stamp)
      Crazy for Cupcakes
      Bloomin' with Beauty
      Touch of Nature
      A Tree for All Seasons

So it looks like I'm on the right tracks with those, as I notice you have mentioned a couple of those, and obviously I'll need to get the handle and guide for the rolling stamp and the stamp cleaner, as well as everything else that catches my eye lol.

Glad to see I seem to be on the right wavelength... thank you

Comment

The one 'must have' imho is a waterproof ink like Stazon (I'm assuming stamping up has a version) as it allows you to blend any colouring in you do without risk of the the original stamped image from running. You can get different effects by using coloured pencils, watercolour pencils, paints and pens.
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Thanks NattyNetty... they do sell StazOn ink pads so will look at those

Comment

Only just seen this!!

Ha ha, welcome to your new addiction - well not so new as you posted this nearly a month ago - are you addicted yet lol??

If you haven't already discovered...the type of inkpad you need depends on the effect that you want and what you intend on colouring your stamped images with

Stazon is good for most things, especially if you will colour your images with watercolors etc. However, if you want to colour your images with alcohol markers such as Copics or Promarkers then you will need to use a pigment ink as the alcohol in the markers acts as a Stazon cleaner and will smudge your image!!

There is a magazine that you can buy called Craft Stamper or something (i get it from our local WHSmith) that has all sorts of projects and tips etc - might be worth you having a look at!

Jo
            x
            www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

Comment

I agree with Jo re the mag Craft Stamper, but a lot of the projects in it might be a bit advanced for a complete newbie. There are lots of other mags available in shops like WHSmith, or the Docraft mag which I know is available in The Range.

A word of caution re the Stazon ink pads...I understand that it's not a good idea to use them with the clear acrylic stamps, although I don't know the reason why, probably something technical that has passed me by

There are lots of different ranges of rubber/acrylic stamps, it depends on what you like, but a range I'm liking at the moment is Crafty Individuals...http://www.craftyindividuals.co.uk/

Comment

I've just started having another go at stamping too.

I tried it a while back and thought I wasn't any good at it but have since realised that I was using rubbish ink and then I bought the Archival Jet Black Ink and have got my confidence back, it's greally good - I love it.

I really like the swirls and flourishes stamps that you get and am sticking with clear stamps just now as I'm still learning and feel that I can get a better position with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                  I agree with Jo re the mag Craft Stamper, but a lot of the projects in it might be a bit advanced for a complete newbie. There are lots of other mags available in shops like WHSmith, or the Docraft mag which I know is available in The Range.

A word of caution re the Stazon ink pads...I understand that it's not a good idea to use them with the clear acrylic stamps, although I don't know the reason why, probably something technical that has passed me by

There are lots of different ranges of rubber/acrylic stamps, it depends on what you like, but a range I'm liking at the moment is Crafty Individuals...http://www.craftyindividuals.co.uk/
                  Hi Boo, Craft stamper have just started a beginners section which covers all the differet inks and uses etc I agree the projects can be a bit advanced though sometimes

RE: StazOn and clear stamps i could be because it is a permanent ink and can mark them if you don't clean them properly after! Also, i have had problems with the quality of the images sometimes when using the two together but not always so it could just as well have been the quality of the stamps (or my stamping that day lol!!)

Jo
                  x
                  Last edited by perfectangel; 19-08-2009, 11:18 PM.
                  www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

Comment

Working...
                  X