Japanese Kites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Kites

I'm currently teaching Art for 9-16 year olds in the International Program of a private school in Thailand. My criteria is -in the words of my boss- that I'm "creative". I never pretended to have studied art, and it wasn't my best interest. But I do my best and I think I'm doing a good job.

Anyhow, most of the projects I'm doing with my students are things I've done with secondary level Art teachers, or my primary teachers that left a mark.

For my Transition Year in Ireland (15-16) we made Japanese kites in my Art class. They were never intended to fly...it was a public school and have you seen how much bamboo and silk costs...but we made them to the same designs.
    My big problem is that Art is a low priority in Thai schools, with the emphasis being on making things "look pretty" rather than teaching skills and techniques. (For example; even in still life they instinctively wanna go over their pencil lines with black marker when they're done)

As such, my budget is low. Even for things like ink drawing and plaster of Paris, I've paid out of my own pocket or told the kids to get them.

I can use dowel rods for the frames, simple twine for the lines to hold it together. Paints (it doesn't really matter). Now, since they're never inteded to fly, I can use any paper I want. But I need something that even though it can be heavy (because we'll never fly the kites) still needs to be flexible. Also, the kites are going to be at least 6feet by 6feet and the paper has to be in one piece for each one.

Basically (long way to say this) I need to know a brand of paper that while cheap (to suit my budget) comes in large sheet sizes (at lest 6feet wide) and is still far enough away from card to be malleable enough to go around the frame.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but does anyone have any ideas? The Ministry of Education supply store my principal goes to has nothing suitable.
    Last edited by wuh2k; 21-07-2009, 05:34 PM. Reason: typo
    "Yes! We put the brick on the pedal!"

What about using fabric instead of paper. Muslin and calico are quite cheap and easy to use and can still be painted or drawn on
    Karen
    www.angelicfolk.co.uk
    Bespoke clothing for your little angels
    http://angelicfolk.etsy.com
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/angelic.folk?ref=profile

Comment

Cheers for the tip Tipsy.

I'll run it by my principal tomorrow (practically today over here), she knows a few places outside the MOE one so it might work.

Dunno why it didn't occur to me. Since you mentioned it, I think it was hemp we used when I did it at school.

Thanks again.
      "Yes! We put the brick on the pedal!"

Comment

Could you get the children's parents etc to donarte old sheets?I've used them to make coracles so know they will go around a frame and they will take waterpaint otr oil paint when tight. If they are cotton wet them first, pull around your frame and then leave to dry. They tighten up a bit. that way. They can then be painted as the children wish. I used to coat them with diluted pitch to let it soak in and stiffen up.

Pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
        X