My sewing machine has exploded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sewing machine has exploded

It was a Frister and Rossman. It's 40 years old. I loved it. It's been fixed several times but this time the tensiony round thing has completely popped off. It looks pretty broke to me. After a week of holding it on with an elastic band I think I'm admitting defeat.

So....
    can anyone recommend a sewing machine that is
    1. well hard.
    2. Uncomplicated. I straight stich and zig zag. It would be nice to be able to button hole and put zips in. My last machine was pretty pants at those last two things.
    3. and most important - it has to be able to sew from sheer silk to 6 layers of coat weight wool.

Any recommendations gratefully received.
    Thanks
    AnnieAnna

PS Would you buy an ex demo machine? Or have they been hammered to death before they go on the market?

Hello, not sure which model I would recommend but I would recommend these people http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/ I bought my machine from them. They were really helpful and if you keep the original packaging they will do a free service once a year for the life of the machine, the prices were very reasonable too.

Have sent a pm to you about another matter
    Karen
    www.angelicfolk.co.uk
    Bespoke clothing for your little angels
    http://angelicfolk.etsy.com
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/angelic.folk?ref=profile

Comment

I saw them then went all girly and dithery and oh oh oh what shall I chose?

AnnieAnna

Comment

Sorry I can't help, but sorry to hear your old faithful has finally given up.

40 years, they don't make them like that any more do they?

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I like Janome machines and Husqvarna. The ex display models should be fine as long as they give you the proper guarantee. I am just trading in my Janome 300e embroidery machine and the Janome ME4800 (good machine) sewing machine for a Husky that does both, mainly because I need the room as I have an embellisher and 2 overlockers as well as a straight stich Janome 1600p which I use for quilting LOL xxCeinwen
          www.brightondollfestival.co.uk
          http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/p...rdlowres-1.jpg

Comment

Annie why don't you go to Woking Sewing machines at Woodham, I have got all my machines from them and they are very helpful, they offered me one once what they call a workhorse a 2nd hand Bernina, my sis bought one recently 15 years old but works like a dream and seems to be able to take a hammering.

Comment

Thanks Carolee, I was still pathetically dithering allover the Web so I did what you said and it went like a dream.
              "Hello I need blah blah blah."
              "Well you could have this one but this other one is better. Would you like to see?"
              Followed by a demo.
              "That's spot on, how much?"
              "That's within the budget how would you like me to pay?"

I've got a new machine I'm off to play
              Thankyou. Byeeeee

AnnieAnna

Comment

Aaaaw that's really painful news!So sorry, I hope your new machine works well for you
                Dee x
                Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
                Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
                Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

Don't cry. My old machine is going to the Sewing Centre and will either be given the kiss of life or be canibalised. Either way it's off to Africa and a life in the sun

Happiness all round.
                  AnnieAnna

Comment

Working...
                  X