Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcylic Casting

Hello Everyone,
    I'm new here and I joined to get some advice.
    I collect stamps and wondered if there was a way I could set one in clear arcylic, and make it into jewellery. I've seen people set stamps inglass pendants but i would like to try something different.
    Could you tell me what to do and where to get the items?
    Thank you
    Hannah

Have a word with Sphangle.

He can be found in the jewellery section.

his web site is www dot sphangle dot co dot uk

Sorry cant post links yet.

Simon
    http://www.cs-creations.co.uk

http://www.cs-creations.co.uk/catalo...arge/S6356.JPG

Comment

ha! I had that idea a few months ago, ~I bought some of the collectors stamp sets from whsmith and never got round to doing it! Now i've lost the stamps! I was just going to tear them up in chunks and set them in a pendant mould in resin.
      http://www.terrilowedesign.co.uk
      http://www.twitter.com/Hello_TerriLowe
      http://territriestwice.blogspot.com/
      email: [email protected]

Comment

I've sent a message to Sphangle, see if i can get some help

Comment

Hi Hannah and welcome to the forum !

I have sent you a private message and hope you 'stick' around on the forum !

Thanks
          Preserving your items and memories in Handmade custom jewellery Keepsake Gifts

Comment

Thank you shpangle,
            I really would like to have a go myself.
            I wondered what resin do you use? and do you pour it at once or build up in layers?

Comment

Hi again Hannah,

Have you considered using shrink plastic to cover your stamp ? You could mount it on a small tile and then cover with shrink plastic to preserve ? This would be a lot less costly for you.

Comment

So glad I saw this thread. I was asking some time back about acrylic as I have both my children's first baby tooth and wanted them in acrylic.

I was thinking of doing it myself but it seems so complicated and to be honest I don't think I would ever get around to it.

Would it be possible to put them into separate acrylic pieces to be used as keyrings? and also would there be a way of putting something else in with it to show which tooth belonged to who, such as a pink bead and a blue one?
                Diane
                Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I agree it does sound quite complicated, but i think I really would like to try to creat a moulded acrylic item

Comment

Hi Diane !

Sorry it took me ages to reply but I am currently trying to get a massive wedding order completed for next week ! (the wedding organisers want personalised favours for ALL the guests !

I have never done teeth before but someone once asked me for a piece of jewellery incorporating his toe nail clippings ! It looked beautiful when it was finished.

Anyway, have you looked into blank keyrings. There are loads of shapes and styles on the net. At least then you could put in whatever you wanted without the risk of making a 'mess' of something so precious.

Yes, you could put them into a piece of resin but then something as precious as your childrens first baby teeth, you may not want the risk of losing them in a blob of plastic. (once in they wont come out !).

Comment

Setting teeth in resin

Hi there
                      I do a lot of work (jewellery mostly) using resins and I now supply this brilliant resin that doesn't stink and isn't carcinogenic- good news, I think you'll agree.
                      It is perfect for embedding things and, here's more good news, if you make a mistake, you can dissolve the resin without affecting the teeth!
                      I have been using resins for over 30 years - how time flies when you're having fun. I have used all sorts and was delighted to find the stuff I now use.
                      Any questions -get in touch.
                      You can visit my site cjresins.co.uk too.
                      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by resinqueen View Post
                        Hi there
                        I do a lot of work (jewellery mostly) using resins and I now supply this brilliant resin that doesn't stink and isn't carcinogenic- good news, I think you'll agree.
                        It is perfect for embedding things and, here's more good news, if you make a mistake, you can dissolve the resin without affecting the teeth!
                        I have been using resins for over 30 years - how time flies when you're having fun. I have used all sorts and was delighted to find the stuff I now use.
                        Any questions -get in touch.
                        You can visit my site cjresins.co.uk too.
                        Cheers
                        Hello your majesty,

I have been making resin jewellery for some time and I am always looking for new innovative methods, tools and resins. I currently use a well established resin, thats remains crystal clear, doesn't yellow over time and can be purchased from many craft shops. It is also recommended by many resin jewellers such as Sherri Haab. I am happy with this resin however was interested in your comments.

I took a look at your site and while it was interesting it didn't give me confidence to purchase for the following reasons:

1) There is no shipping policy, privacy policy, returns policy or site use policy for the site.
                        2) I went to purchase some resin for £27 pounds and it added on £7 for delivery !
                        3) The site calls it resin however doesn't reference the type (epoxy, polyurethane, polyester etc), as you are aware some are easier to work with than others (tollerant to moisture etc).
                        4) I would like to know the content listings in the resin and hardeners (I have experience (positive I may add) that trading standards are interested in the content of the resin, especially if it is used within jewellery that will be worn next to the skin.
                        5) I am surprised to see the lady pouring the resin in the instruction pictures is not wearing eye protection. I am sure the resin would be an eye irritant so eye protection should be worn.
                        6) You say that the resin doesn't 'stink' however I am sure vapours will still be released. It doesn't state this and again there is no mention or display of protection against this.
                        7) It doesn't mention the cure time of the resin. This is very important to me.
                        8) You mention that 'dissolve the resin without affecting the teeth'. I would like to know how this can be achieved. I still wouldn't encourage someone to put something as precious as their child's first teeth into resin.
                        9) In my opinion, barrier cream should not be used as a substitute for gloves but to be used as extra protection. However you state that 'it is better than gloves'.
                        10) I would hope that the resin product would come with full instructions for use, such as mixing temperature etc that are not mentioned on the website.

Many thanks for the interesting post and I am sure if the above comments could be resolved you would be hearing from me in the future !

Comment

Working...
                        X