Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board Game project

Hello everybody,

I am just starting a university project where I have decided to make a board game but have hit a problem. While I have the general design of the map to be used, I don't know how to actually put it onto the base!?

So a few points really...
    1) What would be a good card to use for making the box/board, I would like the board to be able to fold up on itself, but not essential.
    2) Should I try painting onto the card, or go to a printing shop and have a high quality print of the map to glue to the board? Also decorating the box, putting the title on the front etc.

While my painting skills are okay, I don't think they're up to this complexity. However I suppose I could use paper templates to keep everything neat?

Any suggestions or ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick
    to the forum

Pleased to meet you though I cannot help this time,
    someone may be along later who can.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Off the top of my head I'd have to say go for the printing option.

For the board you can use 2 pieces of 2 - 3mm MDF (sturdier and more professional then cardboard) and have the map printed on a heavy plasticised material that will stick to both halves and allow you to fold the board up (plastic printed material acting as a hinge)

Print for the board would work well also - all depends on the remit of the project and how much of it (if any) has to be hand made.

See if a local art college / design school has the necessary equipment and maybe see if a student there could assist in the production side in return for them having a copy for their own protfolio? (or do it for the price of a few beers!)

Good Luck - and remember, if it is a good game get it protected, an old school friend of mine invented a boardgame 20 odd years ago and it's still in the shops!
      Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistant one.
      - A. Einstein

Hand crafted Driftwood gifts and homewares from North Devon
      www.whitepebblebay.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for your helpful replies!

Have now ordered 2 panels of 3mm MDF, quite a challenge finding them custom cut but got it in the end! Also have drawn up the map to be used (using my new found graphic design skills!) and that's now being printed onto a large sheet of self adhesive vinyl. Hopefully it's tough enough for the hinge function, I had a feel of a test sample and seemed good. The guy in the shop mentioned about reinforcing the hinge part, but I got a bit lost...will inquire further when I pick it up.

Am now onto the units to be used, its a conquest game of ancient times (2nd century BC) and so will be using generic soldiers and ships.
        I'm thinking of just using 2 sizes of small wooden blocks, with various colours for the different nations?

But perhaps cut to a more fitting design...
        But then I don't have the tools etc to cut down small bits of wood.

I'll go into a local craft store and see what they think, but any suggestions here most welcome!

Thanks again,

Nick

Comment

For ideas on how to re-enforce the hinge section, take a look at board games you own / in shops. They usually use a strip of cloth tape (you could even use duct tape) Just be careful to apply it with the 2 sections folded together so it creases when opened - otherwise it wont fold.

As for counters, the design really depends of what culture / country of the 2nd century you are focusing on - ancient Rome / Greece / China etc?

If, for example if you wanted to set it a little earlier in time you could have the Roman invasion of Britain - with checkers style counters painted / pyrographed / engraved with Roman and ancient British symbols / lettering etc.

If your set on the 2nd century, how about a game focusing on the building of Hadrians wall (while fighting off the savages from the North!) with brick style counters on the Roman side and something suitable Scottish on the opposing side (haggis!)

The easiest way to get lots of nice sized counters cheaply is to buy a broom handle and saw 5mm cross-sections off of it so you get a nice big supply of discs ready to decorate.
          - A. Einstein

www.whitepebblebay.co.uk

Comment

What about using Fimo to make counters?
            There are loads of colours these days, and you can also buy gilding to paint on. Plus it would be reasonably cheap to do.
            WightRose

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Wightrose

Comment

If you make the counters from the broom handle could you find some pictures or clip art, print them onto sticky back sheets and then cut them out to stick on the counters.

Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by Wightrose View Post
                What about using Fimo to make counters?
                There are loads of colours these days, and you can also buy gilding to paint on. Plus it would be reasonably cheap to do.
                I was going to suggest Fimo too - you can use a rolling pin and set two batons on the sides of your work board to determine the thickness it rolls out to.

Spe******t cake shops have mini food cutters in various themes for a few ££s so you could either cut out different shapes, or cut out a standard circle or whatever, and then emboss a simple design in to the fimo before you bake it hard...

Another suggestion would be to search ebay and the like for charms - like chinese coin charms http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-BRASS-CHINE...405129004r1393 for example.

Comment

Thanks again guys!

The hardians wall idea sounds great fun! But i've already got my map all printed out and planning forms in.

The one i'm making is a take on the board game 'Diplomacy' if you know it?
                  Basically Army+Naval units conquering Europe, with some negotiation involved.

But I'm focussing it on the 2nd Century, around the Mediterannean.
                  So involves Roman Republic, Carthage, Macedon, Egypt, Seleucid Empire fighting it out.
                  So the pieces I would need should either be generic shapes etc for all nations involved, or specify a bit more.

Counters/coins sound a great idea, but due to the size of the board and variety needed, I was thinking smaller.

Fimo sounds perfect, from what I see with wikipedia/google etc it's just a clay which I can sculpt into whatever shapes I need and then bake it in the over to harden it?

I'll definitely look into that, if they do a good colour assortment sounds just right.

Hinge ideas seem good too, the official Diplomacy game I have here has the map as the hinge. MDF and Print not arrived yet...
                  So I put one of the mdf squares down, stick half the map to it. Then fold the map in half and carefully attach the other mdf square?
                  Or just make sure that when I stick it down to leave a bit of room for creasing to occur...
                  Well I'll be able to see whats what when it finally gets here!

Thanks to all, I think i'll put this forum thread in my documentation as proof of research

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick, don't forget to post a picture here once you are done!
                    WightRose

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Wightrose

Comment

Originally posted by NickH View Post
                      Thanks again guys!

I'm focussing it on the 2nd Century, around the Mediterannean.
                      So involves Roman Republic, Carthage, Macedon, Egypt, Seleucid Empire fighting it out.
                      So the pieces I would need should either be generic shapes etc for all nations involved, or specify a bit more.

Counters/coins sound a great idea, but due to the size of the board and variety needed, I was thinking smaller.

Fimo sounds perfect, from what I see with wikipedia/google etc it's just a clay which I can sculpt into whatever shapes I need and then bake it in the over to harden it?

I'll definitely look into that, if they do a good colour assortment sounds just right.

Hinge ideas seem good too, the official Diplomacy game I have here has the map as the hinge. MDF and Print not arrived yet...
                      So I put one of the mdf squares down, stick half the map to it. Then fold the map in half and carefully attach the other mdf square?
                      Or just make sure that when I stick it down to leave a bit of room for creasing to occur...
                      Well I'll be able to see whats what when it finally gets here!

Thanks to all, I think i'll put this forum thread in my documentation as proof of research

Nick
                      Well, Fimo should serve you well, its relatively cheap per 56g block, (£1.30ish) and comes in a wide range of colours and finishes - try looking it up on google and looking for the craft supply websites. Either roll it out and use a small food cutter to make your tokens .. or if a perfect finish is not so important, you can roll the clay in to a "sausage" and if required use something like a ruler to press the round edges flat - that way you can make your roll 3, 4 or more sides.. and then cut off thin slices with a very sharp craft knife...

I see you already ordered your map on self adhesive vinyl... ... I hope it was not too expensive, as it is notoriously hard to handle! If it is at all possible, take your MDF with you, and prey upon the good nature of the printer to "assist"!! - rather than applying the vinyl to the board, I would be tempted to put the map face down on a VERY flat surface, peel the backing off, and position the MDF panels on top.. then there is less risk of misalignment and stretching.. any trapped air bubbles should be easily taken care of with a pin..

Comment

A thought on the outside of the box, could you print the map on ordinary paper and then stick it to the outside of the box - maybe corner to corner to add interest - and then overlay the name on top of that?
                        or maybe cover the 1/2 of the box with the map and the other half with a matching colour with the name on.
                        Something like this http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/43/18/2dc4_1.JPG

Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by NickH View Post
                          But I'm focussing it on the 2nd Century, around the Mediterannean.
                          How about an Atlantis wildcard!
                          - A. Einstein

www.whitepebblebay.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X