Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrink Plastic with Embossing Powder

Hey,

I have tried using embossing powder as a glaze for shrink plastic but because it needs to be baked, the shrink plastic curls up.

Has anyone tried using embossing liquid as a glaze?. I heard that you just leave it to set naturally and doesn't need baking.

I would have thought once you shrink the plastic, and let it go cold, the embossing powder would "melt" before the plastic started to get floppy and curly again.. but obviously not.. !

I have used glazing liquids for getting a clear lacquer effect on paper and card stock, and it's easy enough to use, though takes ages to dry properly.. can't see why it wouldn't do the same on your shrinkies..

Comment

I made hundreds of pretty little silver hearts for wedding invitations a few years ago using shrink plastic and silver embossing powder. I punched out the hearts from the shrink plastic, covered with ink, sprinkled the embossing powder over (tapping off excess obviously) and popped them all in the oven. As they shrunk the powder melted and I was left with little hearts with an enamelled silver finish. I'd imagine it'd work just as well with clear embossing powder to give a glazed effect
      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by sparkysdad View Post
        I would have thought once you shrink the plastic, and let it go cold, the embossing powder would "melt" before the plastic started to get floppy and curly again.. but obviously not.. !

I have used glazing liquids for getting a clear lacquer effect on paper and card stock, and it's easy enough to use, though takes ages to dry properly.. can't see why it wouldn't do the same on your shrinkies..
        Hi, thank you for the reply. Hopefully it will do the job.

I thought that would be the case too but I've ruined god knows how many pieces using the embossing powder method. I also tried a heat gun but it did the same thing.

Comment

What temperature would you suggest using embossing powder at?

I have my oven on the lowest setting normally when dealing with shrink plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Cute Creations View Post
            What temperature would you suggest using embossing powder at?

I have my oven on the lowest setting normally when dealing with shrink plastic.
            I just kept the oven temp settings the same as always and it worked fine
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Working...
            X