Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wood and Paper problem

Hello everyone

First post here so apologies if I've got the wrong section!

Basically I'm crafting something called a BeerPong table using a standard wallpaper table. I'm going to be decorating it by painting it, but i also wanted to add a crest to it, the best way I could get the picture would be to print it out. If you Google "hardboard paste table" there's a picture of what i mean first link!

My main problem is how to attach it so that it's flat and well attached but also so that it's waterproofed and doesn't go all soggy! I was originally thinking of just PVA gluing it to the table and then varnishing over, but as a relative new comer to craft I would really appreciate some help!

Thanks in advance

Grant

Hello and welcome.

If you are painting the table first then I can't see a problem with pva gluing the picture on then varnishing over the top with a waterproof varnish such as a yacht varnish.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure if there is a better way then someone will be along soon to give you more advice.
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Great thanks for your help! So primer and paint, then just stick on the paper and varnish over? Sounds simpler than I thought it'd be. Is yacht varnish easily available from hardware stores? I was wondering if something like clear lacquer would work too?

Comment

check on scrap if the print is going to run. you may be better off using spray mount glue and a spray varnish for the first coat.
        "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
        my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I bought my yacht varnish from either B&Q or Homebase, can't remember which but yes it is readily available, it's either called yacht varnish or marine varnish depending on the brand and as Goldy says, check the ink doesn't run first
          Diane

Comment

ok cool!

Thanks for the replies everyone! Will definitely test whether it runs or not first! Thanks guys, really appreciate the help!

Comment

not a problem, you are welcome. Don't forget to post pictures of the finished project as we all like to have a nose!!
              Diane

Comment

im sitting here wondering what a BeerPong table is !?!?!? But now i know

http://www.cutegadgets.co.uk/student...pong_table.htm

Sounds brill! lol
                Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Give it a few thin coats of varnish rather than one thicker one - takes longer but a more durable finish.
                  ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                  website
                  blog

Comment

Now if the cups were full of Baileys I think I'd prefer to lose!
                    Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

It would be best to stick to yacht varnish rathe than a clear lacquer as yacht varnish has some give in it and will move as the wood of the table expands and contracts through temp. changes / humidity.

I think lacquer would crack and peel after a short period of time.
                      Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistant one.
                      - A. Einstein

Hand crafted Driftwood gifts and homewares from North Devon
                      www.whitepebblebay.co.uk

Comment

The only issue with using varnish is that even clear varnish has a base colour, so your printed design is likely to appear yellowed, although you can allow for this when you design the image if it is important..

One other option, but probably far better with assistance from a helper or two (its a devil to apply smoothly on your own!) would be to protect the top with a layer of clear sticky back plastic..

Comment

Originally posted by SNOWF1975 View Post
                          im sitting here wondering what a BeerPong table is !?!?!? But now i know

Sounds brill! lol
                          It's become a game we play almost everytime before we head off on a night out, great fun especially for the competitive ones of us in the team!!

As for the other advice thanks a lot everyone really helpful!

I've been thinking about the sticky back plastic that was just mentioned earlier. It doesn't have to last forever, but durable to sustain some "spillages" that seem to go with the territory!

Been tempted to paint the table, varnish it, then maybe after that sticking on some laminated crests, just thinking about how to get a good seal around the crest, that's where i was thinking the plastic might come into play. Many things to think about!!!

For those intrigued by BeerPong as a game best bet is to wikipedia it simple enough game, but has the potential to have hundreds of rules!

Comment

Working...
                          X