pyrography from photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pyrography from photos

hi, ok what is the best way to get a good result from a photo.

i have a gorgeous photo (have attached it) of my daughter and was wondering what this would look like on wood? i havent done a photo before and was looking for some hints and tips!!

ta
    Last edited by lisashaw; 05-03-2009, 08:49 AM.

Print a copy onto plain paper then take a soft B3 (or similar pencil). draw around the outlines + shaded areas turn over and then trace through with the paper on the wood leaving a faint pencil outline onto the wood. Then pyrograph the pencil lines.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Or if your photo processing online does cartoon/pencil style versions (or picnik does) print that to use for the trace!!
      Rach

Facebook
      Website
      Blog
      Folksy

Comment

along the same lines as Glamglass, I'm in the process of working out how to change my photos into 'sketches' to do them as pen and ink drawings. My husband got Paintshop Pro and on the 'effects' is 'black pencil' among many others, and it literally changes your photo to look like a hand drawn sketch. I've adjusted the settings on my first photo to come out as light as possible...after all I don't want the computer to do ALL the work...I just want an outline really. So that's how I'm doing mine. I haven't saved any of my attempts yet so I can't show you I'm afraid, but if you have a fiddle around with this programme I think you'll get the result you're after. I'm no good at actually sketching, but I want to do a series of local buildings, churches, market houses as pen and ink and this is the only way I can think to do it and for it to still enable me to go around it with my pens and then ink tint it, doing each one individual. Good luck...ps, if you find another way of doing this can you let me know?!
        Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

I've done a few portraits from photographs which you can see in the Gallery section of my website. I've just written a big section on pyro portraits from photos for the book that I'm working on (due out in spring/summer 2010 ) which provides loads of hints and advice. My main pointer would be to start at the darkest lines/areas and work your way through the image from there.

All the best,

Si.
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

After that particular blonde moment I had a good laugh at myself...hmmm, you can't really put a piece of wood through a printer can you!!! Doh! sorry about that!
            Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Well, tbis is my "bete noir"...sigh! But, to get the image down, I can help with that, and it's a nice green recycling solution, too!

This is how I work with computer images :
              Open the image in some editing software.
              Get it into black & white, turn the contrast all the way up, turn the tone balance up, to get a clear, bold image.
              Flip the image horizontally, to get a mirror image, and save the new image.
              Get some paper that's been through a laser printer, and print the new image on the reverse of that with an inkjet printer.
              Let it dry thoroughly, then simply rub it down onto the wood as you would with a tracing, with firm, even pressure.
              I'm especially privileged to have a special rubdown stick, made from a little bit of ebony (as my beloved is a woodturner) but a run-out biro or a smooth-ended anything will work too. It works on wood and leather, and rubs out just like pencil.

I'm not good at this sort of work, but the best advice I can give you is that if you have trouble, try doing it upside-down. This helps me no end, as if I work with it the right way up, I draw what I think OUGHT to be there, rather than what really IS there, and it all comes out wrong.
              But on the whole, not something I'm good at... I'll stick to dragons!
              Cheers,
              Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
              Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Oh - in your case - select and remove the black background, too... Or you'll have no ink left!
                Cheers,
                Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Working...
                X