Fee remission on college courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fee remission on college courses

Our local college (Barnsley) runs a silver smithing course and I was wondering if people in receipt of qualifying benefits can claim their fees back (or part of them) for this course.

Anyone ever done this?

I've had fee remission in the past when I was studying for my office qualifications but not attended college for quite a few years and wanted to get an idea first before I ring them just so as they don't laugh at me if I'm asking for the ridiculous.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

No question is ever stupid!
    You will not have to give your name when making general enquires.

Go for it.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Have you checked on the college's website? I know my local college says which courses qualify for fee remission on their website if you hunt around a bit.

Sometimes "hobby" courses dont get any reduction as they are seen as non-essential, sometimes they get a partial reduction, sometimes they hardly cost anything! So it is always worth asking!

Comment

just phone up and ask. I got my classroom assistant course free as i was on benefits at the time but todays jewellery course, i had to pay for. They didnt even accept my ILA Scotland grant! Bah!
        Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

I know some courses are free for benifit some are cheaper and some have no discount at all so you will have to ask I think to find this out.
          my blog: http://debsjeans.blogspot.com/

Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...ls/48962246861

my misi.me http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=879

Comment

I work at a college and usually yes there is some fee remission its changed a lotin the last few years due to funding, contact the college and provide evidence good luck xx

Comment

Hi
              In my main day job I am head of an Art, Design, Fashion & Media department, so I might be able to answer your question.
              It depends on what course you are enrolling on as to whether it is classes and a LSC priority. About 3 years ago they pulled the funding on the on what we call 'Adult Leisure' courses and channelled their funding in to the areas of need. These are things like first full level 2 & 3 or 16-18. There are others too but anything that is classed as a leisure courses and that does not have an actual qualification attached to it that is classed as a LSC priority the likely hood is that you won't get any funding unfortunaltely.

It totally killed alot of my provision that was aimed at that target audience as people who want to enjoy education was suddenly forced to do a GCSE or A level and take an exam or build up portfolios.

My advice would be to go to the college and see their advice and guidance people or ring up the course deliver direct and ask the question, you will see that they are really nice and helpful whichever college it is because they want your business and will help anyway they can to get it.

Cheers Lisa
              Craftduo visit www.craft-duo.com

Craftduo Blog http://craft-duo.blogspot.com

Comment

My local adult college does reduced fees on ALL its courses, whether hobby based, business based or education based.

You have to show proof of which benefit you receive. I don't think all benefits qualify but JSA and IS do. The reduction is quite substantial so worth asking.

Just remembered it also stated in the college prospectus how much courses were and what the reductions were.

I'm doing pottery and I think it was reduced down from about £80 to £15. so a huge difference.

Best advice: go online or get a prospectus or phone and ask!
                Last edited by Moonbeam Angel; 27-01-2009, 09:39 PM.
                Diane
                Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

http://www.barnsley.ac.uk/assets/pdf...PROSPECTUS.pdf and look at page 5 there is a flow chart to work it out
                  Fancy a buddy on it if its affordable?
                  Chris xx
                  My Website
                  My Blog

Comment

According to that chart, Chris, both OH and myself are entitled to free courses. I was just wondering if they applied to the so called "hobby" courses. . . . . which could be argued seeing as we both make jewellery for a living.

Will definitely ring them tomorrow. And you get 2 buddies, not one.

They also do a photography course as well and I wouldn't mind doing that if they don't clash.
                    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Double trouble then I mean for Dave - I think you will get photography classes in loads of places other than the college
                      Chris xx
                      My Website
                      My Blog

Comment

Forgot to add- was talking to my sister in law about this yesterday as she did college course in it - she reckons I would pick it up without the course and she's going to give me all her notes
                        I thought it was expensive to set up but she says not if u r canny- which we Barnsley lasses and lads are
                        Chris xx
                        My Website
                        My Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X