I would like to make a medieval type circlet and have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like to make a medieval type circlet and have some questions

Nothing fancy, I am not a silver smith, looking more for bent wire or beady type.

I was wondering - if you make one with beads, is it just like a necklace you sit on your head? How do you attach it to the hair? Willpower? Hair pins? Do you do anything different to making a necklace?

If you make one with bent wire I assume you just bend the wire and add sparkles as you like, again am wondering how it stays on I guess.

There are a few pics on the net but nothing of the backs so I cant see how they work, I am practically in the middle of nowhere so no chance of seeing one in a nice shop.

All help appreciated
    flickr
    blog
    my website
    etsy

Hiya gigglinggoblin
    funnily enough I have been asked to make one like that this week. My first attempt has been abandoned although Im sure if I tried to finish it someone would like it but I tend to be quite critical of my own work and I am not happy with it. What I have done is just to twist the wire around it self to try and achieve a shape but if you make a mistake and try to straighten wire that has been bent, then it just doesnt look good. So I have come up with another idea but I havent actually tried it out yet. Instead of twisting the wire I am going to use some half round sterling silver wire to join the less expensive silver plated wire into shape. I would prefer to use silver plated half round wire but I havent been able to source any in the UK and I am not fussy about importing it unless I make a large purchase of other wire in the same order. It just too expensive to import small amounts and at the moment I can't afford to import. In some example I have seen on the internet they are fastened at the back by tying ribbons but I think you could finish it like a necklace and that would work also. Let me know how you get on and post some pictures when you are finished.
    Diana
    Something Shiny Something Sparkly
    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
    My blog
    Facebook

Comment

Hiya

Well, I made one for myself by bending a single strand of wire into ivy-leaf outline shapes, ending up with 3/4 or 4/5 of a circle. I finished mine by bending one end into a loop around a stretchy ponytail band, and making the other end into a hook. Then I put the circlet on, pushing the ends under my hair, and did it up by looping the band over the hook I'd made, all under my hair. Stayed on all day, and the stretchiness makes it comfy.
      Cheers,
      Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
      Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

oooh i love circlets i wore one at my wedding it was just a band of metal that went halfway round my head and then had other bits of wire/metal twisted around it with beads- seemed to fit snugly across my forehead and at the sides i think i just had clips to secure it in place just for my peace of mind.
        Would love to see your finished piece!!
        Lady Lora

Comment

I have done several styles. There are photos etc on my blog http://crystalvelvetweddings.blogspo...-headwear.html

One of the biggest things to thinnk about is colour. They tend to sit flat to the hair and blonds have trouble with them as they just get lost in the colour.
          Hair styles should be very simple Underneath. A plait or loose hair tends to be the best look. People will wear them with curls and fancy hairstyles, but they get hidden in the depth of hair.

From my post, you'll see two styles.
          a) a complete circlet (ignore the extra beading)
          b) a frontal decoration ( needs bare forhead as they look odd placed on a fringe.)

I'm talking about hair style such a lot as they really don't work well if the bride wants barrel curls etc. It's quite important to discuss with the bride first as you may be able to make modifications to suit her requirements.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Good points! I wear my hair to one side, and made my ivy leaves to just come across one side of my forehead...
            Cheers,
            Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
            Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Fab tips thanks, will have a good think. Great to hear how people wore those, it def gives me something to work on. Am thinking of making one for a friend who belly dances, she would look stunning in one but it has to stay put while she jiggles!

Like the ideas of ribbons to fasten, twisted wire was an idea but I did think it would struggle to stay put. Are you going to post pics anywhere? Would love to see it Dizzy

Have left a comment on your blog BBD, they are lovely. How is the twisted wire one fastened? Do you just twist the wire round each other. Was thinking more of the beady type, I guess you just supply it with hair grips then, is that right?

Much appreciated all the help
              flickr
              blog
              my website
              etsy

Comment

BBD that circlet is lovely. I think my problem is I am trying too an intricate design and it started well but because I didnt like the next bit I ended up twisting all my wires in to a solid bit. As I dont like the solid bit it has put me off finishing it but my idea for the rest looked as though it could have worked.
                I might try post images later on gigglinggoblin. I have a pile of ironing like no bodys business to do first.
                My blog
                Facebook

Comment

hi

I use a wire jig, its much easier to get the shapes perfect

this is my first attempt on a tiara base

its more a half tiara thingy but it's a first go lol
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by gbell; 20-01-2009, 11:52 AM.
                  www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

For visual reference why not look at the lord of the rings films the elves both male and female wear that type of thing. Also on the dvd versions of these films there are extras that feature costume design and a stills gallery of characters etc, so you should find some good visual reference there.
                    http://twohootscraft.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/home.php?ref=home

The owls made me do it.

Comment

http://www.medievalbridalfashions.com/jewelry.htm
                      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Lord of the rings is a good source (although they use a lot of soldered designs)
                        First knight is also a good source of the more simple styles.
                        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Ok I was busy last night on my second attempt at a medieval circlet so I have uploaded the pictures now to my album along with some new wire wrapped jewellery I have been working on since the new year.
                          The earrings are for my cousin but I also decided to make a matching pendant. The necklace is for myself I used my birthday money from last September to purchase the sterling silver.
                          The circlet is made from 1mm silver plated wire and 8mm swarovski crystals, the binding is sterling silver wire and I finished it of with loops and threaded some ribbon on.
                          Here they are My Album

Beadsbydesign
                          If I decided to put the circlet on my website, may I use the information you have given about the best hair styles which are suitable for the circlet?
                          Diana
                          My blog
                          Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by waitingformagic
                            Wow - I absolutely love love love the pendant!!!

Thank you
                            My blog
                            Facebook

Comment

Working...
                            X