Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a book on Tiara making

. . . . but which one?

If you read my post recently about my holiday for next summer, then you'll know my best friend is getting married. Well she is very confident that I will be able to make her tiara and also a crystal bouquet!!!!!! She also wants me to do alice bands and little crystal wands for the bridesmaids but I'm not worried about them.

To date the sum total of my hair accessory making experience has consisted of hairpins with single pearls or crystals on attached with wire (managed to get them quite neat though if I do say so myself) and also simple beaded haircombs.

So I figure if I start practicing after xmas when business is slow, then by the summer I may just have mastered the art of tiara making to produce something she will be proud to wear.

Need a good book recommending so that I can add it to my xmas wish list .

What do you more experienced bridal-tiara-makers suggest?
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

I find videos beter to learn by. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WX5RVz0EnUw
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

The bead shop in Nottingham have their own tiara book, I have not got around to buying it yet, but it comes well recommended.

I have made a number of tiaras and I have yet to purchase a book, I would just go for it if I were you. Twist some stuff, bend some stuff and add loads of sparklies..... can't go wrong really!
      www.beadlab.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles View Post
        The bead shop in Nottingham have their own tiara book, I have not got around to buying it yet, but it comes well recommended.

I have made a number of tiaras and I have yet to purchase a book, I would just go for it if I were you. Twist some stuff, bend some stuff and add loads of sparklies..... can't go wrong really!
        This book is really good and clear instructions

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles View Post

OMG I cant believe you have just given away the secrets of tiara making to the world like that

Ok another idea is just to go examine some tiaras. But to be honest the crystal bands are the easiest things to make in the entire world. I measure the length of wire the same way as I would if I was sewing. The length of my arm to my nose. Wrap the wire a couple of times around one end of the alice hairband usually just below where it would sit behind the ear. Thread on your crystal, 6mm in size, let it slide all the way down the wire till it sits on the hair band and simple wrap the wire (just one wrap) around the hairband to keep the crystal in place and then continue with the rest of the crstals in the same manner till you get to the other side of the hairband and finish off the wire the same way you started with a couple of wraps to secure all the crystal. Have a practice with some cheap wire & beads first but you will be surprised at how easy it is.
          Now fairy wands....thats another matter. I have been told how to make them but I worry that I might leave loose ends and some child hurts them self with it so I simply dont make them! The crowd at Nottigham that do the tiara book also have a one day tiara making class and its not expensive if you can persuade a family member to give it to you as a Xmas prezzie
          Something Shiny Something Sparkly
          Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
          My blog
          Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzydiza View Post

The crowd at Nottigham that do the tiara book also have a one day tiara making class and its not expensive if you can persuade a family member to give it to you as a Xmas prezzie
            I did actually do the one day workshop at the beginning of last year,after having looked up instructions on the net and making my sister a tiara for her wedding, cos I was sure there would be a bit more to it. It was loads of fun, you get a £5 voucher to spend on purchases that day thrown in, and the best thing i found out about it was the technical stuff,like what gauge of wire to use and when, but it was as simple as that!.
            You get people 'wowing' at things that you know how easy it is to make,and its a real boost
            I craft, therefore I am!
            for hotfoiled cardmaking goodies
            www.fuchsiafairy.co.uk
            now Live get your supplies here

Comment

Hi

I too went on a morning course about 18 months ago to learn how to make tiaras and made one that I did not think I could ever imagine I would be able to make.Once you know the basics and there isn't too much you just practice and you soon get your own style.
              My OH also ordered a new book for me called TIARAS AND HAIRPINS from Amazon(michelle bungay).It is only a small book ,but clear and consice enough to get you going.As with everything else you just take the basics from it and adapt to suite you.
              Hope this helps
              Take Care
              Jacki
              ***I can't promise you the MOON, but I can promise SPARKLE.***

http://wiganscraftyfriends.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Tiara confidence

hello everyone,

I teach tiara making and the one thing everyone seems to lack at the beginning of the day is confidence!
                Like any other craft activity, working with wire is a nice simple process, once you have the confidence to try it! Theres no right or wrong way, just easier and harder ways!!!!

Most tiaras are created from a bunch of "components" these are pretty things on a stalk of wire, you can either make them yourself or buy them from craft stores. then all you need is a base, a band or a wire circlet, and starting at the center you carefully attach each "component" by wrapping with wire.

If you really want to go wild and create some very elabourate designs, may I humbly recomend having a look at my book "tiaras and bridal jewellery", It may have some designs to inspire you ;0 it is available from rainbowdisks.com

Comment

Hi Iam a vintage head piece designer

I create brooch bouquets ,crystal bouquets, and vintage inspired tiaras take a look at my web site
                  goggle urban bride you'll find me
                  I hope I can help, my prices are honest

Comment

I made a tiara/headband last week and it was quite easy.(see rich girl link below)
                    Cant say a proper 3d tiara will be easy but id happily give it a go, so I hope you have fun making yours.Sorry I cant help with a book but if you find a good one can you let us know.
                    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                    X