Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know much about "mastic"

Im still on the topic of mosaic tables!

I have found a couple of sets of instructions, and they say to use a layer of mastic if the table has a glass top and then this will grip the glass and provide a surface for the tile adhesive to cling to. Sounds sensible to me.

So anyway, I went to homebase and asked for mastic. "No, we dont sell mastic" the young sales assistant told me. So I went to B & Q, asked for mastic. The bloke looked at me like I was a bit bonkers, and asked what I wanted it for, so I explained. He then said that saying to use mastic is like saying you are doing the hoovering - it doesnt actually specify what you mean?! So by now I am feeling a bit silly, so I decided to make a quick exit and do some further research.

So, when they say to use mastic, what should I actually be using? I dont mid if its not mastic lol, as long as it does the job!

Help!

Claire x

I'm sure your right! My dad was a painter and decorator and used mastic to fill up cracks in between doorframes and walls because it's flexible. It was a bit like the stuff you put around the edge of the bath and smelt just as bad. Maybe it's not called mastic these days. Do you know any decorators? They might be able to get some cheap.

Hope that helps! Debbie
    Debbie
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?id=1262375772

http://www.folksy.com/shops/purplemac

http://purplemac.misi.co.uk/

Comment

They should be sacked from their job. Mastic sealant like was said used around the edge of the bath. Used around door frames to fill gaps and so on.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...num=4&ct=title

In America it is called Calking.
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

just asked hubby about this & it's usually called sealants & they come in tube things. Screwfix have some.
        My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

Aaaah I think I see. So it is sealant I want? And this will grip the glass and give me a surface that tile adhesive will stick to?

Thanks for your help, its a complicated business this mosaic-ing and I havnt even started yet!

Comment

Also known as sealant. The best place is order online at www.screwfix.com. Loads of choice and info and you can bulk order, it arrives the next day too! Haven't had a problem with them yet.
            Ashbee

"You only retire when you stop doing something you don't like and start doing something you do..."

Comment

basicly it is someting that will stick to a smooth surface. Wilkinsons do a pot of ready mixed grout look on the side and see if it contains either silicone or latex if it does it should do the job. http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0078828 it comes in smallerr pots.

Comment

Originally posted by claireybear View Post
                Im still on the topic of mosaic tables!

I have found a couple of sets of instructions, and they say to use a layer of mastic if the table has a glass top and then this will grip the glass and provide a surface for the tile adhesive to cling to. Sounds sensible to me.

Help!

Claire x
                Are you using glass mosaic with the intention of seeing through it or opaque tiles? I used to use clear sealant with glass, the sealant acts in the same way as the tile adhesive. Not sure you'd really need tile adhesive.

Can you give a better description of what you are making?
                Ashbee

"You only retire when you stop doing something you don't like and start doing something you do..."

Comment

the glass table is the base.

Comment

Thats a good idea, I could just use the silicone stuff as glue! Thanks!

I am making (or planning to!) a mosaic table using an aluminium garden table with a tempered glass surface as the base, and small vitreous glass tiles in various colours to make the pattern - hopefully a butterfly! I have also found some glass tiles in the shape of butterflies which I want to put around the egde, but they are completely transparent.

So actually the more I think about it, the better it sounds to use the silicone sealant, as that would be transparent so wouldnt show through the tiles!

I am planning to use a dark-coloured grout, probably grey, as apparently this will look better than if I used white. Actually, I nearly bought a lareg tu of combined adhesive/grout today, Im glad I didnt as the grey would have shown through the tiles if I had used it to stick them on with, and would probably have looked awful!

I really appreciate your help everybody, you are all great!

Comment

Make sure you get the clear sealent and not the white.

Comment

How about 'Decorators Caulk'? You can get that in B&Q very cheaply if you don't buy a branded name. I use it for loads of things (even in my art) and it works great, you'd be surprised at it's versatility - and it sticks!
                        Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
                          Make sure you get the clear sealent and not the white.
                          Lol, knowing me that is the kind of thing I would do!

Comment

Originally posted by onlyme View Post
                            How about 'Decorators Caulk'? You can get that in B&Q very cheaply if you don't buy a branded name. I use it for loads of things (even in my art) and it works great, you'd be surprised at it's versatility - and it sticks!
                            I will have a look for this - I think someone mentioned earlier that caulk is the american name for mastic/sealant? But if it is cheaper then I will be there lol!

Comment

to try to clear up the confusion about "what is mastic" it is a generic name for a viscious medium often sold in tubes (the big comercial machines use pressure fed tubs) it has a range of uses from gap filling as in decorators caulk, frame sealant usually skins over but is a non setting mastic so as building move it doesnt pull the frame with it, and sanitary sealant which as the name suggests used for sealing around the wash basin and bath etc there are other spe******t mastics eg fire seal and glazing fix. from the instructions you have been given I would have thought the type you need is as suggested sanitary sealant as this one sets like rubber it is available in a range of colours but usually only white or translucent (sometimes refered to as clear) are sold in diy stores I would second the suggestion of using the clear it does dry quite quick compared to white and if you do have a little over the edge it doesn't show much,

It's amazing how much useless information you can have rattling around in your head with 30 years in the building trade

Comment

Working...
                              X