crotcheting wire advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crotcheting wire advice

Hi I would like to start crotching wire to make jewellery items. Should I use 26 or 28 gauge? I would like it be reasonably sturdy but also easy enough to work with. Also is Sterling Silver much more difficult to work with? Ps i have never crotched before!!

Karla Schafer does a good example of the pieces i would like to produce on her 'Crotchet necklace' exaple on you tube. (Auntie's beads)

Thanks for your help Tanja

I have made a few pieces of jewellery with knitted wire. One is quite chunky, I used 28 guage for that. A couple of others I used 2 strands of 32 guage held together which I found easier to work with and I liked how it looked with 2 colours. Just give it a try and see how comfortable you are! I have the book wore knits by Heather Kingsley-Heath which is really nice, def worth a trip to the library
    flickr
    blog
    my website
    etsy

Comment

I would probably start with 32g or .2mm. www.wires.co.uk have some great special offer packs with 5 different colours which would be good to practice with. Sterling silver will probably work out very similar but I would wait until you are used to the technique as you could end up with an expensive tangle.

Melanie

Comment

Copper wire is also a cheap alternative to use until you have mastered your technique and people do actually ask for copper jewellery - its very popular in the US.

You can buy reels of copper wire from Maplins in lots of different guages and prices start from under £6. They have stores all over the UK and a website.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
        X