How to Crochet?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Crochet?!

I am very inrested in getting started and would love any advice on How, What, Why and When!!

Needles, yarn, sizes, tutorials, suppliers the whole lot really!

I do want to crochet wire but thought I would be best off starting with yarn first, Also I would like to make yarn items too as I think it looks lovely.
    "Buffys Charms" my lil ol' Blog

Buffys Charms Website

Although I can crochet, I'm not particularly skilled so hopefully someone more experienced will also offer advice. But as a starter I would get hold of a reasonably large hook (4 or 5mm) and some double knit yarn (big enough to see what you are doing), and have a look at this youtube tutorial for a 'granny square'
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gJCd_-V2D5k
    Once you've got the feel for it, there are other tutorials on youtube for flowers, circles, butterflies etc and you can start to experiment with finer yarn and a smaller hook! Have fun, it's very rewarding when you get going.
    Cathy xx
    http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
    http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
    http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
    I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

Thanks Cathy,

That is a great start for me, I like the idea of starting larger too

Cool Video too, why oh why do I always forget to look there?!

Buffys Charms Website

Comment

I love to crochet and I am not professional but I know quite a lot about it and if you have got any questions i will be happy to answer

any time
        x
        blog
        website
        etsy shop
        folksy shop
        twitter

Comment

Thank you jezzabel,

I have had a peek on your sites and if your work isn't professional,
          I know not, what is!

I will keep your offer to hand and drive you mad with my Questions and ask your advice a plenty when I start!

Thank you
          x x

Buffys Charms Website

Comment

Hi Buffy, there are so many simple to follow teach yourself books about. You can often pick them up for pence at car boots or charity shops. Chrochetting is easy really. You can only learn by practice. In no time at all you will be winging along very speedily.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Thanks Carol x x

I am now itching to get started I am going to order online, as many years have passed since you could pick up such "Haberdashery" Items in Woolys! and may well throw in a book too.

Even if I find myself incapable at least the book will remain for my kids and future reference!

I used to knit a lot as a child and enjoyed my nans pattern magazines and fancy stitches, I found a sample I made and it bought it all flooding back, hope I still have the same talent now as I did then! assuming one is a similar talent as the other that is!

x x

Buffys Charms Website

Comment

Originally posted by Buffy View Post
                Thanks Carol x x

I am now itching to get started I am going to order online, as many years have passed since you could pick up such "Haberdashery" Items in Woolys! and may well throw in a book too.

Even if I find myself incapable at least the book will remain for my kids and future reference!

I used to knit a lot as a child and enjoyed my nans pattern magazines and fancy stitches, I found a sample I made and it bought it all flooding back, hope I still have the same talent now as I did then! assuming one is a similar talent as the other that is!

x x
                You won't have a problem Buffy - enjoy
                Carol
                God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hi - I do a lot of crochet! There are some excellent free tutorials on the Internet - here's one tip which might be useful. Remember that UK and US crochet terms are different. What Americans call Single Crochet, we call Double Crochet etc. This isn't a problem as long as it is clearly stated - however sometimes it can be a tad confusing!!

Crocheting with wire is relatively simple too - arguably easier than yarn as it doesn't unravel!! Use a fine wire (such as .2mm) to start and don't use your best wooden hooks (in case the wire damages them!).

This is my first post here (other than my intro) so I hope it is OK!

Kate

Comment

Thank you Kate x x and

That is a usefull tip thanks!

I have managed double crochet and triple crochet stitches. I am finding the counting a bit difficult in my busy house and my wondering mind *Blush* so I haven't as of yet followed a pattern successfuly!

I have been using a great book, "The encycopedia of crochet techniques" Search press, I also bought their Beading techniques too, another great book!

I would like to have a go with the wire over the week end!

Going to try a granny square now lol

Buffys Charms Website

Comment

Working...
                    X