Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• indri
    replied
    Like the cocktail stick idea, never heard any one come up with that idea before!

Just a little extra thought. I was doing some quilling last night and thought of it! Remember not to roll your coils too tightly - the tension means they won't spring open so well. I roll mine quite quickly so don't get much in the way of tension, and then they spring open better, and also come off the tool better.

Leave a comment:

• Scorch
    replied
    I tried it with a nice thick cocktail stick... snip the pointy end off, and use a blade to split the end down a bit deeper than your paper strip is wide. Then it holds the paper and lets you twirl it up just like one of those slotty tools...

Leave a comment:

• swirlyarts
    replied
    Fabulous - thank you Just got to find the time to do it!!

Leave a comment:

• indri
    replied
    Originally posted by needlecraftandbeads View Post
    I just use my fingers - basically you need to roll the strips as you would roll a wrapping paper to store.
    Hope this helps
    If you do this you sometimes need to run your nail along the end that you are going to start from, and some people find it easier to have a damp sponge to help dampen the fingers when rolling.

This website tells you about finger rolling if you're up for it!
    http://www.dotcomwomen.com/crafts/quilling.shtml

Leave a comment:

• needlecraftandbeads
    replied
    I just use my fingers - basically you need to roll the strips as you would roll a wrapping paper to store.
    Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• indri
    replied
    Right, a quick lesson for Swirly in the art of Quilling!!!

There are several options for rolling your paper and the one I've never got the hang of is using fingers (and no tools) so as you are a beginner then you might like to avoid this one!

You can buy quilling tools (and I've got quite a selection from various kits now), there is the needle tool (which has no slot at all) which gives a nice fine centre to the coil, but most people start with a slotted tool. You could always use a hat pin or a cocktail stick instead!

I have fat ones and thin ones. My favourite is one I bought, but I know people do get a long needle and cut the top of it off (so the hole is a slot rather than a hole - or you might not get your coil off!!) with a little saw and then mount it on a bit of dowel to get a better grip of it, so that would work!

If you don't want to buy ready cut paper you can always use a shredder or carefully cut your own - I buy mine as I'm not very good at cutting straight and I don't think shredders always give a nice smooth edge!

If you manage it you might not need to cut the top off the needle as you can aim to get as little as the paper in the hole as possible so when you are coiling it slips out of the hole and you can slide the coil off the "tool". My paper sometimes does this and sometimes doesn't!

Any other questions just ask!

HTH!

Leave a comment:

• swirlyarts
    started a topic Quilling advice - for Indri really!

Quilling advice - for Indri really!

I've spotted a card that uses quilled flowers that I quite fancy having a go at but I don't have any quilling equipment and as I'm on a don't buy any craft things I don't need kick I can't go out and buy the equipment. Is there an easy way to make the shapes (they are the basic shapes for a flower - not sure of the correct names). I thought about a large needle and use the threading hole for the piece of paper - would that work?
    Thanks
Working...
X