Customs charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customs charges

Has anyone any information regarding customs procedures? I'm planning on ordering some Swarovski & silver findings from the US, but it's the 'you are liable for customs charges in your own country' that's throwing me a bit. Do they bother about small jewellery orders? Any help greatly appreciated. BTW someone mentioned Swan Crystals somewhere - after a lot of digging, and tracing their phone number, I discovered they are in Hong Kong..............and so is their customer service telephone number! Decided against them!

I regually import beads and findings from all over the world.
    Sometimes customs open my parcels and sometimes they don't. It's not too horrific. Thecharges on a five hundred pound value parcel for me are about £19.00.
    If however they are marked as a sample or gift on the customs label then I tend not to be charged.
    The Inland revenue have a great helpline and can answer you question more specifically.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Custom charges!!Thats the phrase I was looking for.I have refered to it as 'extra money thing'.

I finally bought some products from a usa site.Id been delaying it for a couple of years as I dont like dealing with abroad as its a big hassle if things go missing plus the customs charge issue.

But finally I thought 'theyve got what I want so I may as well order things'.
      I stuck to the minimum of things that I wanted so the custom charge will be minimal and so I can get an idea of charge payment ratio for the future.

I spent the equivalent of £29.
      There has been this discussion on other forums and from what I can remember its something like this.
      If you spend around £21 you get £7 customs charge.

No idea how true it is but as soon as I get my bits(should be within a couple of weeks)I shall let you know how much I had to pay.
      https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

i spent £160 on beads from america, i got charged £33 for import tax by fedex
        www.craftedgems.co.uk

http://www.beadartists.org/Gal1300_C..._s_Gallery.asp

Comment

Is it cheaper if it goes through normal post?
          https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Thanks everyone, it sounds a bit hit & miss, but I'll order some findings and see how it goes. Meant to say, it's Auntie's Beads - any feedback on them?

Comment

If you ask for USPS the freight is cheaper (comes through Royal Mail or Parcelforce) but the charges are the same as you'll pay VAT at 17.5%. I always get charged, the only thing that varies is the courier fee (with UPS being the most expensive) and the duty fee (usually 6% for beads) which is not always charged.

Beadsbydesign: £19 on £500 parcel? Baffled! Should have neared the £100! I assume you weren't charged for VAT or is that just the courier charges then add VAT?
              Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Customs is a hit and miss thing depending on various things.

Is a courier used, if so then not only do you get charged for Vat & Duty you get charged by them for adimistrations (thats them dealing with the paperwork for your parcel) this can be anything upwards of £8 depending on the courier. I personally find FEDEX to be the worse of them all.

Is your parcel marked as sample or gift, if so then it's likely you won't be charged VAT & Duty regardless of who is delivering (some suppliers are happy to do this, some are not)

I think the min order before VAT & Duty is applied is around £18.

The VAT is always the same at 17.5% but the Duty is dependant on the items bought.

If you can phone Customs and Excise, tell them what you are ordering and ask for a comodity code, then ask the supplier to clearly mark this on your parcel.......... with that you won't get charged more than you are due to pay. It happens more often than not to be charged at a higher Duty rate when the parcel is marked with value but not full explaination of content.

If you do call and get the code you will definately get all charges due and it'll not 'slip through the net', so it's not always a good idea to get the code, but if you know you'll get charged and want to make sure that it's not more than you have to, then it is! "devil you do and devil you don't" rings to mind here.

Fran

Comment

Thanks Fran - I remember hearing about the £18 limit, I'll stick to that!

Comment

Yes I agree that FedEx seem to be the worst for charges. Not only that but you olny get an invoice at least a month after you receive the original order and then they expect you to pay it within 7 days - I dont know about anyone else but I think thats terrible, its not like its the only invoice I have to pay!!!!!!

Having said that, some things are still much cheaper to import even after paying the customs charges, than they would be buying them here in the UK. I wish the government would address this a bit more and encourage a bit more internal trading........but I guess thats a whole different issue.......:-(
                    Liz

EA Cards and Crafts
                    Huge choice of papercraft, jewellery and wedding products! Full papercrafts catalogue available.
                    www.eacardsandcrafts.co.uk

Comment

fedex are the worst but Fire Mountain Gems only ship to the uk by fedex

i'm not ordering from them again though
                      www.craftedgems.co.uk

http://www.beadartists.org/Gal1300_C..._s_Gallery.asp

Comment

According to Fedex the goverment is increasing the Duty on all items relating to craft to match VAT charges. They charged me 13% Duty on Sterling Silver componants last year. I've not had any other courier charge me that! or anything like it. I'll never use any company that uses Fedex as a courier.

Originally posted by liz15a
                        Yes I agree that FedEx seem to be the worst for charges. Not only that but you olny get an invoice at least a month after you receive the original order and then they expect you to pay it within 7 days - I dont know about anyone else but I think thats terrible, its not like its the only invoice I have to pay!!!!!!

Having said that, some things are still much cheaper to import even after paying the customs charges, than they would be buying them here in the UK. I wish the government would address this a bit more and encourage a bit more internal trading........but I guess thats a whole different issue.......:-(

Comment

my parcels usually come into the country with small independant couriers. Their transit is arranged by my manufacturers and suppliers. UPS was the highest charge I ever had.
                          I have never bought from america (as yet.... watch this space!)

Comment

[QUOTE=beadsbydesign]I regually import beads and findings from all over the world.
                            Sometimes customs open my parcels and sometimes they don't. It's not too horrific. Thecharges on a five hundred pound value parcel for me are about £19.00.
                            QUOTE]

Just checked this out on the paperwork
                            The value was £280 and the balance was the shipping cost.
                            I need to get a better memory.. I just think of the parcel as a whole!

Comment

...............ever get the feeling that you started something? I'll stick to the UK - just wish I could find a better range of findings! Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X