Where can I buy wire twisters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I buy wire twisters?

Hi, I am looking for a pair of wire twisters.
    I have googled them and most of the ones I found look more like something an electrician would use!

Does anyone know if there are such things as crafters wire twisters?

I want to be able to thread a bead onto the wire and then double it over and twist it. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
    Last edited by Pink Giraffe; 17-07-2008, 09:18 PM.
    Pink Giraffe
    www.pinkgiraffe.co.uk
    email me here

Hi,
    I was at hobby craft lastnight and I spotted a pair, so yes there is such things as wire twisters . I dont know of any other suppliers though.
    Sue
    www.artbysusanjefferson.co.uk

Twitter @suecreative

Comment

Great, that sounds promising. I will go and have a look in there tomorrow.
      I wish I had a hobbycraft nearer
      Pink Giraffe
      www.pinkgiraffe.co.uk
      email me here

Comment

I've never heard of wire twisters. To do what you are asking Pink I just use my set of pliers. Thread my bead on to a wire, bend the wire back on it self, holding the 2 ends of wire with the pliers I then use the end with the bead to twist the wire.
        I have what is called a Pin Vise(looks like a drill end bit) that I use to twist square wire to give it a filigree look..... I am wondering if it is possible to place the 2 ends of round wire into it and roll it the same way as I would square wire....this might make twisting the wire easier but I havent tried it as I think it would be fiddly trying to get to ends of round wire into it.
        But I would be interested to see what round wire twisters look like.
        Di
        Something Shiny Something Sparkly
        Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
        My blog
        Facebook

Comment

Perhaps this hint from my Uni days will help?

We used to put the two ends of the wire in a vice and pull out the looped end. You then insert an L-shaped sturdy piece of metal into a hand drill (an Allen key can be used if necessary, or make your own 'bit' from some hard metal). Put the L-shape into the loop, pull it out until the wire is taut and twist the hand drill handle as if drilling. If you keep the tension nice, you will get a very neat and tight twist. You can even combine several different wires in this way. If I get a chance, I'll dig out some of my old twist experiments and scan them in so I can post the results.

Si.
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

Thank you for the help. I bought exactly what I needed from Hobbycraft. It was £9.95 which seemed a bit steep, but I realised it was well worth it when I started having a go.
            I have a vice on my workbench. I clamp a hook into it (like the sort you screw into walls to hang curtain tie backs on).
            Then i thread one end of my wire into the wire twister, thread onto the wire whatever beads I choose, then I thread the other end of the wire through the wire twister, hoop the beaded end over the hook and then twirl the wire twister.
            It sounds like quite a long process, but it really is quick once I got the hang of it.
            I mentioned the drill idea to my other half and he gave me one of those looks that said: "No way are you getting your hands on my man tools!"
            Anyway, I'm really pleased with it. I will try and upload a picture I took of my first creation.

It looks like I can't upload a picture until I have made more than 25 posts. I will try and remember to come back and do it.

Thanks again!
            Pink Giraffe
            www.pinkgiraffe.co.uk
            email me here

Comment

Glad you found what you needed. The process sounds exactly the same as what I used to do with the hand drill.

Si.
              Wood Tattoos
              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
              Facebook
              Flickr
              Twitter

Comment

Mmm, I've done that with a market-stall hand-drill too...
                Cheers,
                Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Working...
                X