Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window display

Looking for help again...aren't I always

My shop front has lovely big windows so displaying new products or crafty themes isn't a problem. The problem however is that the sun keeps discolouring the products I put in there. I try to change the display every 3 weeks approx but even by then some of the colours have fadded making the items no longer suitable for re-sale - admittedly I'm planning on salvaging what I can from the discoloured scrapbook kit to use myself - but it's going to end up very expensive if I can't sell anything that is ever put in the window.

Does anyone know of anything I can use to prevent this, I'm wondering if there's some kind of invisible spray I can put on the window to block out the UV rays...highly unlikely I know but any suggestions greatly welcomed.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Hi

What I would do is every time that you buy something from your suppliers ask them for a free sample and put that in the window, that way if the sun does damage it you haven't lost anything, most suppliers should give you freebies and if not, well I dont know maybe find a new supplier ?

Sorry think I started waffling on a bit then, hope the idea helps a bit anyway
    for all your paper & card needs visit www.ideasinpaper.co.uk

Comment

All I can think of is the big sheets of yellow or orange sweetlike wrappers that used to go in the wool shop window when I was a kid!!

Thats not very helpful is it??!!

Comment

Theres some stuff called UV Protection Film that you coat your windows with. I have no idea of the cost or any other info but its a start.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE: Just googled "UV protection for windows" (uk only search) and found this

http://www.armashield.co.uk/arma/UVProtectionFilms.html
        Last edited by auntynet; 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM.
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by Tip Top View Post
          All I can think of is the big sheets of yellow or orange sweetlike wrappers that used to go in the wool shop window when I was a kid!!

Thats not very helpful is it??!!
          They've got one of them in the chemist near where I live, I wondered what it was for, now I know.

Its amazing what you learn on this forum
          for all your paper & card needs visit www.ideasinpaper.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
            Theres some stuff called UV Protection Film that you coat your windows with. I have no idea of the cost or any other info but its a start.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE: Just googled "UV protection for windows" (uk only search) and found this

http://www.armashield.co.uk/arma/UVProtectionFilms.html
            No way!!! I can't believe it actually exists, bet it's well expensive but an email enquiring doesn't cost anything so massive thanks for that!

Oh yes yuk, those yellow wrapper type things were what I was thinking about and I really really hoped there was an alternative as there's no way I was having that...not very enticing for customers seeing varying hues of yellow products
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Just wondering would a canopy be a long term cheaper solution? I suppose there will be planning issues but they do make shops stand out form the crowd too and you can have your name printed on it
              Chris xx
              My Website
              My Blog

Comment

You could make it into a summery themed display with yellows and oranges and put a big sign in the window to say "can you guess what colours these really are? Come inside to see!!"

You never know!

Comment

Some good ideas up there, and I have nothing new to offer I am afraid, however......

I had my car tinted for AUD $1,000 - (about £400 ish), this was the darkest legal tint available for driving, it really kept the sun out of the car and I could get away without sunglasses on really glarey days. I haven't seen it done here (apart from boy racers.......) but I know it is possible.

It is essentially a sheet of plastic that is glued to the window, I bet it is expensive to do a shop front too but it might be worth it in the long run. You may even be able to get do it yourself kits.

As for canopies...... really sunny day, no respite from the heat, would be shoppers may find shelter beneath your canopy, or, more likely, would be shoppers sheltering from the rain!

You have to ask yourself though, how cute would your little shop look with a canopy out the front?
                  www.beadlab.com

Comment

Are the products very damaged after being in the window? I'm sure there will be some enterprising people around that will be able to use them if you sell them off cheaply!
                    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
                      Are the products very damaged after being in the window? I'm sure there will be some enterprising people around that will be able to use them if you sell them off cheaply!
                      You took the words out of my mouth - that was what I was about to say - you could make them sale items that way you would at least get something back.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X