Tie dying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie dying...

I enjoy doing tie dying - and I have been experimenting with making tie dyed baby vests etc. to sell (and as gifts for friends!). A problem that I don't seem to be able to solve is that the results are often a bit blotchy - i.e. the areas that are supposed to be a solid shade take up the dye a bit patchily. I've used Dylon cold water dyes if that makes a difference.
    Ali
    xx

My Crafty Blog
    Craft Matters at Etsy

Have you pre washed the item to remove any finish the fabric had put on in the factory?
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Tie-dying takes me back. I was a bit of a hippy in my youth and used to tie die everything I could get my hands on. Any other older forum members remember doing this?
      www.littlebead.blogspot.com
      www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Originally posted by janetdc View Post
        Tie-dying takes me back. I was a bit of a hippy in my youth and used to tie die everything I could get my hands on. Any other older forum members remember doing this?

Absolutely yes. With nothing any fancier than food colouring I was really lucky my dad was a baker and he used to bring all the left over colours home.

Janice x
        www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

I would also suggest pre-washing the items. What are you using to tie the fabric?
          Would love to see some of your items
          incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
          ___

Comment

I can vouch for pre-washing making ZERO difference when using dylon hot water dyes. going to have a go next week with machine dye though.

Comment

I definitely pre-wash. The last lot I did I used Dylon & used the kind that you do in a bucket (rather than on the stove or in the machine) - so I am guessing that is the cold water dye? I can't tell you the number of times I have bought the wrong blooming dye - those little tins are so awful. Thanks for your help guys.
              Ali
              xx

My Crafty Blog
              Craft Matters at Etsy

Comment

Working...
              X